EVRPD Seeking Members for New Senior Advisory Committee
January 23, 2017
The District has launched a search for committee members, which will include five members appointed by the EVRPD Board of Directors. At least two members on the Committee will be appointed from the membership of Estes Park Senior Citizens Center, Inc.
To be considered for the committee, applicants must be full-time residents of the District, a 320-square mile region including Estes Park and the surrounding area. Applicants must also be at least 55 years of age at the time of applying.
"The committee will help the transition of senior services be successful and ensure that seniors' voices are heard in a new model of delivery through EVRPD," said Beth Headley, Senior Services Program Coordinator.
In August 2016, the Town of Estes Park and the Estes Valley Recreation and Park District entered an intergovernmental agreement to transfer senior services from the Town to EVRPD upon the opening of the Estes Valley Community Center, which is anticipated to be January 2018. The agreement includes the establishment of a Senior Advisory Committee.
The charge of the SAC includes:
- Advise EVRPD staff about the delivery of various senior recreation and lifelong learning opportunities that provide recreational, social, educational and health services to senior participants of the EVCC;
- Provide recommendations to EVRPD staff about EVCC policies;
- Participate in advocacy activities for older adults and collaborate as appropriate with agencies that serve older adults in Estes Valley;
- Appoint appropriate subcommittees as necessary to further the work of the Center’s programs and efforts of the Committee;
- Identify problems of service and recommend appropriate solutions;
- Be a channel of communication between staff, senior participants and the senior community;
- Provide feedback to staff on the assessment of current and future needs of the senior community for program planning.
"One important role of the SAC will be to stay abreast of evolving local and national trends and services for a wide-spectrum of seniors ranging from the younger retirees to the old-old in the Estes Valley," said Lori Mitchell, Senior Services Manager.
To apply, please submit a completed EVRPD Committee Application by March 3, 2017 to the EVRPD Administration Office located at 690 Big Thompson Avenue, Estes Park, CO 80517. Applications are available online at evrpd.com or can be picked up at the EVRPD Administration Office.
SAC member appointments will be made at the March 21, 2017 EVRPD Board Meeting.
For more information, visit www.evrpd.com or call Teresa Jackson, EVRPD Manager of Community Center Operations at (970) 586-7556.
ABOUT ESTES VALLEY RECREATION AND PARK DISTRICT: Estes Valley Recreation and Park District is a quasi-municipal corporation and political subdivision of the State of Colorado. Established in 1955, the organization's goals are to plan, direct, organize and implement recreational programs, manage facilities and provide public park and recreation opportunities for residents and visitors of the District, an area that encompasses 320 square miles.