During the 2018 legislative session, several bills were passed into law that relocates the beer, special event, liquor and tobacco codes to a new title of the Colorado Revised Statutes. The relocation of the law is effective on October 1, 2018.
The Liquor Enforcement Division (LED) is taking steps to implement this change to include the following:
- The prefix for most liquor licenses numbers will change to:
46-XXXXX will change to 04-XXXXX (3.2% Beer Licenses)
47-XXXXX will change to 03-XXXXX (Liquor Code Licenses)
48-XXXXX will change to 05-XXXXX (Special Events Code Licenses)
(Note: License numbers with the format XX-XXXXX-XXXXX will not change)
The LED will issue licenses with the new numbering system starting October 1, 2018, upon renewal or when a new license is issued. All licensed will have the new numbering system by October 1, 2019.
- The LED is providing stakeholder with a re-codification crosswalk (or cross-reference) guide that provides a table comparing each law from title 12 to title 44. You can click here to view the crosswalk guide.
- The LED will be providing an updated beer, liquor and special events code (courtesy version) to the industry that contains all new references to title 44, effective October 1, 2018. The updated laws should be available on October 1, 2018.
- You can view the official new re-codified laws by visiting the Colorado General Assembly’s website. You may view a courtesy copy provided by the LED of the new liquor code with easy navigation links for simple use here.
- The LED will be updating the current rules to reflect the change in statute numbers and will publish these rules on October 1, 2018. The only changes to the updated rules will be any reference to statute and not any content change.