MED New Regulated Marijuana Business License Application

NOTICE: The below applications have been updated pursuant to House Bill 19-1090. Please note the Division is continuing to review and update all applications as part of its implementation of 2019 legislation.

A Complete Application Packet Includes:

Applications may be mailed in or submitted in-person at the Lakewood Office. 

          Marijuana Enforcement Division 
           1707 Cole Blvd., Suite 300
           Lakewood, CO  80401

State Sales Tax License:
Applicants must also apply for the State Tax License appropriate for the type of business they plan to operate.  In order to get more information regarding the necessary tax license, visit the Marijuana Tax Account/License website.

Labor & Employment Requirements:
Anyone operating a business within the State of Colorado is required to meet specific state and Federal Labor and Employment requirements.  Please visit the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment's (CDLE) Starting a Business Website for more information. You may also find the "New Employer Checklist" helpful. 

Local Authority Licensing: 
You must also confirm that the Local Authority where you plan to operate allows Medical and/or Retail Marijuana businesses to operate within their jurisdiction.  The MED will not accept new marijuana business license applications for businesses located within a local authority's jurisdiction unless they have advised us that they are currently accepting new Medical and/or Retail Marijuana business license applications — local authorities that have advised the MED that they allow marijuana businesses to operate within their jurisdiction.  Be aware that before your marijuana business may begin operation, you must also obtain a license from the Local Licensing Authority within whose jurisdiction you intend to operate. With this in mind, you may want to begin your Local Licensing Authority's license application process at the same time you are pursuing your State marijuana business license. 

If you have questions please contact the Marijuana Enforcement Division.