MED New Regulated Marijuana Business License Application
As state public health officials are calling for “social distancing,” consistent with guidance from the Centers for Disease Control, the Marijuana Enforcement Division is adopting measures to minimize exposure between employees and also between employees and the public.
- Starting Wednesday, March 18, MED Business operations will continue and services to the public will remain available, however, all MED office lobbies will not be open to the public. During this time, MED is providing modified licensing services, outlined below. Other than these adjustments to our licensing processes, it is business as usual at MED.
NOTICE: The below applications have been updated pursuant to House Bill 19-1090. Please note the Division is continuing to review and update all applications as part of its implementation of 2019 legislation.
A Complete Application Packet Includes:
- A completed Regulated Marijuana Business License Application (this application includes addendums for Publicly Traded Companies, Qualified Private Fund, Qualified Institutional Investors and Marijuana Research and Development Facility)
- All applicable Findings of Suitability (Natural Person or Owner Entity) Applications
- Supporting documentation, and
- Check* or Money Order for the full application fee and made payable to DOR
Applications may be submitted to the LAKEWOOD OFFICE ONLY:
- Mail-In: Marijuana Enforcement Division
1707 Cole Blvd., Suite 300
Lakewood, CO 80401
- Dropped-Off: MED' Lakewood Office will provide a secure receptacle for applicants to drop-off their new owner license applications from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. weekdays until further notice.
Prior to Submission - DON’T FORGET:
Payment: The MED cannot complete its intake of your application without your payment of requisite fees.
Please include a check, money order or credit card authorization with your application submission. NO CASH will be accepted.
The MED is also offering an online payment link option available via Colorado Interactive Payment System. For applicants seeking to use this online payment link option, following receipt of your application, a MED staff member will contact you via email with the link to submit your payment. PLEASE NOTE: inaccurate payment may delay the issuance of your license. Full and proper payment is required, so please double check your payment before submitting it! For a summary of fees, please see the MED’s fee schedule.
FEES DUE TO LOCAL JURISDICTIONS MUST BE INCLUDED WITH YOUR APPLICATION SUBMISSION AS A SEPARATE FORM OF PAYMENT (CHECK OR MONEY ORDER ONLY). Please refer to your application for additional details.
State Sales Tax License:
Applicants must also apply for the State Tax License appropriate for the type of business they plan to operate. In order to get more information regarding the necessary tax license, visit the Marijuana Tax website.
Labor & Employment Requirements:
Anyone operating a business within the State of Colorado is required to meet specific state and Federal Labor and Employment requirements. Please visit the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment's (CDLE) Starting a Business Website for more information. You may also find the "New Employer Checklist" helpful.
Local Authority Licensing:
You must also confirm that the Local Authority where you plan to operate allows Medical and/or Retail Marijuana businesses to operate within their jurisdiction. The MED will not accept new marijuana business license applications for businesses located within a local authority's jurisdiction unless they have advised us that they are currently accepting new Medical and/or Retail Marijuana business license applications — local authorities that have advised the MED that they allow marijuana businesses to operate within their jurisdiction. Be aware that before your marijuana business may begin operation, you must also obtain a license from the Local Licensing Authority within whose jurisdiction you intend to operate. With this in mind, you may want to begin your Local Licensing Authority's license application process at the same time you are pursuing your State marijuana business license.
If you have questions please contact the Marijuana Enforcement Division.