Business License Applicant Criteria - Retail Marijuana
In order to be eligible to apply for a Marijuana Enforcement Division (MED) Retail Marijuana Business License all owners must meet each of the following current statutory requirements (C.R.S. 12-43.4-306):
- Must be 21 years of age;
- Must be a Colorado resident for at least one year immediately prior to date of application or share ownership with a Colorado resident that has been a resident for at least one year immediately prior to date of application;
May not have any Controlled Substance felony conviction in the ten years immediately preceding his or her application date or five years from May 28, 2013, whichever is longer*;
May not have any other felony convictions that have not been fully discharged for five years immediately preceding his or her application date;
May not be financed in whole or in part by any other person whose criminal history indicates he or she is not a good moral character after considering the factors in section C.R.S. 24-5-101 (2) and reputation satisfactory to the respective licensing authority;
May not have a criminal history that indicates that he or she is not of good moral character after considering the factors in C.R.S. 24-5-101 (2);
May not employ, be assisted by or financed in whole in in part by any other person whose criminal history indicates he or she is not of good character and reputation;
May not be a sheriff, deputy sheriff, police officer, prosecuting officer or be an employee of a local or State Licensing Authority; and
May not employ any person at the Retail Marijuana business that has not passed a criminal history record check (obtained a MED Occupational or Associated Person license).
*The Licensing Authority may grant a license to a person if the person has a state felony conviction based on possession or use of marijuana or marijuana concentrate that would not be a felony if the person were convicted of the offense on the date he or she applied.
Additionally, you must confirm that the Local Authority where you plan to open allows Medical Marijuana facilities operate within their jurisdiction. Click HERE to see a list of local authorities that have advised the MED that they are currently accepting marijuana business license application.
State statute authorizes the MED to issue four classes (types) of Retail Marijuana Business Licenses:
- Retail Marijuana Store: facility from which any individual twenty-one years of age or older may purchase retail marijuana. Retail Marijuana may not be cultivated or processed under this license.
- Retail Marijuana Product Manufacturing: a facility which manufactures retail marijuana products and concentrates. Retail Marijuana may not be cultivated or sold to retail customers under this license.
- Retail Marijuana Cultivation: used exclusively for the cultivation of Retail Marijuana plants and the harvesting of Retail Marijuana. If not associated with a Product Manufacturer this licensee may sell Retail Marijuana to other cultivations, stores or product manufacturers within the Colorado Regulated system.
- Retail Marijuana Testing Facility: facility that preforms testing and research on Retail Marijuana for other MED licensees.
Each facility is authorized to engage only in the type of activity for which it is licensed.
If you meet the statutory criteria to be eligible for a Retail Marijuana Business License and wish to apply for one of the above licenses, please visit the Retail Marijuana Business License Application Process.