The purpose of the Independent Living Program is to promote a philosophy of independent living including consumer control, peer support, self help, self-determination, equal access, and individual and system advocacy. Read the Independent Living Centers Fact Sheet
The Independent Living Programs in Colorado help to maximize the leadership, empowerment, independence, and productivity of individuals with disabilities, and to promote and maximize the integration and full inclusion of individuals with significant disabilities into the mainstream of American society. To do this, we contract with nine independent living centers statewide.
These Centers for Independent Living are consumer-driven and community-based private, nonprofit agencies. Each provides an array of independent living services for people with disabilities, including but not limited to visual impairments, hearing impairments, physical disabilities, psychiatric disabilities and cognitive disabilities. Each center provides the following services:
- Information and referral
- Individual and systems advocacy
- Independent living skills training
- Cross disability peer counseling
- Transition services for youth, people leaving nursing homes or at risk of entering nursing homes
The centers for independent living may also provide services, such as:
- Rehabilitation technology
- Mobility training
- Interpreter and reader services
- Personal assistance services
- Community resource guides and directories
- Consumer information programs
Other services are also available that may be necessary to improve the ability of an individual with a significant disability to function, continue functioning, or move toward functioning independently in the family or community or to continue in employment.
Contact a Center for Independent Living
For more information, please visit ColoradoSILC.org
Securing Employment and Economic Security (SEEKS) Grant:
SEEKS is designed to better understand what helps individuals with disabilities to:
- Improve employment and education outcomes
- Increase monthly income
- Expand community participation
Learn more here.