Photo of highwall at the Cresson Mine

The Minerals Program issues four different types of reclamation permits based on the type of operation,characterization of the material being mined, and in one case the exclusive use of the mined material for highway or utility projects under government projects. Reclamation permits issued under the Construction Materials Act or the Hardrock Act in the Minerals Program are issued for the life of the operation. There are provisions in the two Acts for operators to enter into two five-year periods of temporary cessation; however, by the end of the second five-year period, operators must reinitiate operations or begin reclamation. Once an operator has completed a phase of mining, the operator has five years to complete reclamation for that phase.

Operators may make revisions to their approved permits at any time through the appropriate revision process. Technical Revision is a change in the permit or an application for a permit, which has only a minor effect upon the approved or proposed Reclamation Plan. Amendment is a change in the permit or an application for a permit which increases the acreage of the affected land or which has a significant effect upon the approved or proposed Reclamation Plan.

Each operator must submit to the Division an annual report and fee, which funds the Minerals Program in part. The remaining money used to run the Minerals Program comes from a General Fund appropriation of Severance Tax. The annual report must describe, in general terms, the mining and reclamation activities conducted over the preceding year.

Minerals Informational Brochure

"Is It Mining" Questionnaire

Permitting Process Consultants

Reclamation Technical Bulletins