Where can I find the board agenda?

Click here for the current MLRB Board Agenda.  The MLRB Board Secretary can be reached at 303-866-3567 ext. 8136.  

Do you have a Public computer that I can use?

Yes, it is located in the lobby of our offices at 1313 Sherman St. Room 215 in Denver, and at 101 South 3rd St, Suite 301 in Grand Junction.  It is available on a first come first served basis but the information available in our offices can also be accessed from any computer at: https://dnrweblink.state.co.us/drms/SearchPermit.aspx.

How can I get a consultation with one of your specialists? 

Please call us (303-866-3567) prior to your visit to arrange a consultation appointment with DRMS staff.

How do I contact Archives?

Colorado State Archives is located at 1313 Sherman Street, First Floor, Denver, CO 80203-2274.  Phone number: 303-866-2358

I inherited an old mine and I would like to find out its value.  Who do I contact?

Please contact the county clerk & recorders office where the property is located.

Can you provide me with maps of mine sites?

The Colorado Geological Survey can help you with this.  Please call 303-866-2611 ext. 8321.  You can also click here for a map of permitted sites.

Can you send me a list of all the mines in Colorado or all the mines in the U.S.?

We do not have a record of all existing mines in the state or the nation.  We only have information on permitted mines in the state, available on the Reports and Data tab of our website.  For a list of all the mines in the state, contact the Colorado Mining Association located at 216 16th St # 1250 Denver, CO 80202.  Phone: (303) 575-9199.  For a list of all the mines in the U.S. contact the National Mining Association at 101 Constitution Ave. NW, Suite 500 East, Washington, D.C. 20001, Phone: (202) 463-2600.  

What is a mining claim?

Patented Mining Claim:  A patented mining claim is one for which the Federal Government has passed its title to the claimant, making it private land.  A person may mine and remove minerals from a mining claim without a mineral patent.  However, a mineral patent gives the owner exclusive title to the locatable minerals.  It also gives the owner title to the surface and other resources.  

Unpatented Mining Claim:  An unpatented mining claim is a particular parcel of Federal land, valuable for a specific mineral deposit or deposits.  It is a parcel for which and individual has asserted a right of possession.  The right is restricted to the extraction and development of a mineral deposit.  

More information can be obtained from the BLM.

Does the Division of Reclamation, Mining and Safety issue permits for oil and gas extraction?

No.  The Colorado Oil and Gas Conservation Commission issues permits for oil and gas extraction.

Abandoned Mines

How long will it take to fix the mine on my property?

Once the feature is identified by our Inactive Mines Reclamation Program staff it must be included in a grant and obtain clearance for cultural/historical and impacts to biological resources such as Threatened and Endangered species and critical bat habitat.  The process takes a minimum of two years before a mine closure is scheduled for safeguarding.

Who do I call if someone is injured on an abandoned mine?

If someone is injured on an abandoned mine contact your city or county safety department/fire department and/or 911.  Then contact The Division of Reclamation, Mining and Safety (DRMS) at 303-866-3567.

What should I do in a subsidence emergency?

Please follow the procedure outlined in the Subsidence Above Inactive Coal Mines: Information for the Homeowner booklet.  

I want to find out the results for a bid that I submitted.  Who do I contact?

Please contact our Inactive Mines Reclamation Program at 303-866-3567 ext. 8133.

What should I do if I find an abandoned mine on my property?

Abandoned mines are hazardous and should not be explored.  The Division of Reclamation, Mining and Safety safeguards abandoned mines to keep people out.  If you are aware of an abandoned mine, contact the Division in writing with the description of the mine, location (include GPS coordinates or Township, Section and Range), and a detailed map showing how to access the mine and contact information.   Once this information is received, the Division Inactive Mines Reclamation Program staff will inspect the property.  Inspection times are contingent on weather conditions and staff priorities.

How do I know if a mine is on my property?

Claim ownership maps can be reviewed at the County Assessor’s Office or at the Bureau of Land Management.  Accurate mine location (such as GPS data) and claim corners are helpful to determine if a mine falls on a particular claim.  More information can be found on the BLM web page.

Mine Safety

How do I obtain a permit to handle/use explosives on a mine site?

As of November 2003, the Division no longer issues permits for the handling, storage or use of explosives.   Please contact the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives in Denver at 303-844-7549.  

How do I become a certified coal mine official, such as a mine foreman or electrician?

The Mine Safety & Training Program has primacy in testing and issuing coal mine official certifications in Colorado, please contact our program assistant at 303-866-3567 x 8123.  

Who do I contact if I want to become a tourist mine in Colorado?

Please contact the Mine Safety & Training Program Manager at 303-866-3567, ext. 8151.   You can also review the Regulations of the Mine Safety and Training Program for Tourist Mines.  

Mineral Mines

How can I look up an Active Permit? 

Imaged documents for all permitted sites can be found here.  You can also search our data base here.

Where do I find out information about a mining claim?

DRMS does not handle mining claims.  If the mining claim is on State Land, call the Colorado State Land Board at 303-866-3454.  If the claim is on Federal Land, contact the US Bureau of Land Management 303-239-3600.  If the claim is on private land, contact the county clerk & recorders office where the property is located.

How do I find out about the mineral rights? 

The State Land Board (303-866-3454) maintains only State owned properties and does not maintain records for fee (private) or federal lands. For fee property, contact the county clerk & recorders office where the property is located. For federal lands, contact the Bureau of Land Management at 303-239-3600

How do I know if I need a mining permit? 

Please review our "Is it Mining" document which lists guidelines to help determine whether a permit is needed.    

How do I know if I need a Reclamation Permit?

In order for the Division to determine if a Reclamation Permit is required, you must complete and submit the "Is it Mining" document.

When is my annual fee due?

The annual fee is due on the date the permit was issued, also known as the anniversary date.  Click here to file an annual report and fee.

How do I terminate my permit?

Please see Rule 4.17 of either the Construction Materials Rules or the Hard Rock Rules for information on the release of Performance and Financial Warranties. 

How do I file a complaint about a mining operation?

Click here to file a complaint about a Minerals mining or prospecting operation.  For Coal mining or exploration operations, call the Division at 303-866-3567.

How can I get a copy of my permit file?

Copies of permit files can be viewed online through Laserfiche WebLink.

Where do I find revision forms?

View available revision forms here.