Conservation Easement Oversight Commission formed
DENVER - (July 12, 2018) -- Governor John Hickenlooper announced today the appointment of members to the Conservation Easement Oversight Commission. The Conservation Easement Oversight Commission is an eight-member commission whose mission is to advise the Division of Conservation within the Department of Regulatory Agencies and the Department of Revenue regarding conservation easements for which a state income tax credit is claimed. The oversight commission also reviews conservation easement tax credit certificate applications and requests for optional preliminary advisory opinions, as well as advises and makes recommendations to the Division of Conservation regarding the certification of conservation easement holders.
Appointed commission members join non-appointed commission members from other state departments and the state legislature. Members representing state agencies and/or programs are permanent and serve at the pleasure of the agency or program. Members appointed by the Governor may serve up to two consecutive terms of two or three years, depending on the term of the initial appointment. They are selected from across Colorado and no more than two may be from the same political party. Members appointed by the Speaker of the House of Representatives and the President of the Senate each may serve up to two consecutive three-year terms. Both serve at the pleasure of the Speaker and the President, respectively.
Members of the Conservation Easement Oversight Commission are volunteers with specific statutory qualifications, and include:
- Peter Ericson, representing the Great Outdoors Colorado (GOCO) Program
- John Swartout, representing the Department of Natural Resources
- Cindy Lair, representing the Department of Agriculture
- Sarah Parmar, representing a Certified Conservation Easement Holder, appointed by the Governor
- Paul Holsinger, representing a Certified Conservation Easement Holder, appointed by the Governor
- William Fales, an Individual Qualified to Analyze Conservation Purpose, appointed by the Governor
- Jill Ozarski, a member of the general public, appointed by the Speaker of the House of Representatives
- Lee Hancock, a member of the general public, appointed by the President of the Senate
Contact Mark Weston, Director of the Division of Conservation for more information at 303.894.2316.