Financial Services - File a Complaint

File a complaint against a state chartered credit union or savings and loan.

Please note that this agency does not regulate commercial banks or trust companies. If you wish to file a complaint against one of these types of financial institution, please visit the State Division of Banking's web site. If you wish to file a complaint against a state-chartered credit union or a state-chartered savings and loan, first determine if your institution is a state charter by referring to the list of regulated institutions found at the state chartered links above, if found at one of these links you can file a complaint here. If not listed, does the name of your credit union include the word "federal"? If so, it is a federally-chartered credit union and you need to contact the federal regulator at the following:

National Credit Union Administration
1230 W. Washington Street, Suite 301
Tempe, Arizona 85281

If not listed, does your savings and loan include the words "federal," "federal savings bank" or "FSB" in its name? If so, it is a federally-chartered institution and you need to contact the federal regulator at the following:

Comptroller of the Currency
Administrator of National Banks
Washington, DC 20219
800-613-6743 or TDD Number 713-658-0340.

If your institution does not fit into any of the above categories, it may be chartered by another state. Please call or e-mail the Division, and we will assist you in contacting the appropriate state regulator.

Please complete this form and follow the instructions for submission.  

Instructions for complaint form submission are included, and you may also mail your complaint form to:

State of Colorado
Division of Financial Services
1560 Broadway, Suite 950
Denver, CO 80202.

If you wish to file a complaint against a life care institution, be sure it is on the list of regulated institutions found elsewhere on this web site. Then, you may file your complaint with the Colorado Division of Financial Services.

A letter should be sent to the Division containing the following information:

  • Name of the institution and the institution's contact person(s) with whom you have had previous contacts concerning your complaint;
  • Description of your complaint and your efforts to resolve it directly with the institution;
  • Copies of any supporting documentation; and
  • Your preferred resolution of the matter.

A referral letter with a copy of the complaint will be forwarded to the regulated institution. The referral letter will be mailed within 7 days of the Division's receipt of the complaint, unless the complainant needs to be contacted for additional information. The referral letter will require the regulated institution to respond in writing within 14 days of the receipt of the letter. Division staff will review the complaint and the institution's response and then, as soon as possible after receipt of the institution's response, prepare a letter to the complainant with a copy to the regulated institution, explaining the findings and resolution of the complaint. The Division's overall goal is to respond to the consumer within 45 days of receipt of the complaint.