Based on our name, many consumers believe they can file their individual complaints against utilities with the OCC. Unfortunately, that is not the case. The OCC is statutorily prohibited from representing individual consumers before the Public Utilities Commission, but may examine individual complaints filed with the PUC in order to detect any patterns of rate or service problems

Several agencies in the state and federal governments do handle individual complaints.

For specific complaints concerning telecommunications and energy utilities, contact the Colorado Public Utilities Commission at 303-894-2070 or email:

For other consumer complaints, contact the Colorado Attorney General's Office at 720-508-6000 or Toll Free at 1-800-222-4444 or email:

For internet and cable issues, contact the Federal Communications Commission at 1-888-CALL-FCC (1-888-225-5322) or email:

For telemarketing and other general consumer complaints, contact the Federal Trade Commission at 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357) or visit their website:

Contact Information
Office of Consumer Counsel
1560 Broadway, Suite 200
Denver, CO 80202
Phone: 303-894-2121 | Fax: 303-894-2117