State Board of Veterinary Medicine: Continuing Education Information
Veterinarians and academic veterinarians with an active license status must complete at least 32 hours of continuing education (CE) every two years before a license can be renewed.
- If the expiration date of your original license occurs during the year you obtain your original Colorado license you will not be required to complete CE before renewing the license for the first time.
- If the expiration date of your original license occurs the year after you obtain your original license you must complete only 16 hours of CE prior to renewing the license for the first time.
Continuing Education Hours Required per renewal cycle:
- At least 26 of the 32 required hours must be scientific based hours.
- No more than six (6) hours will be credited for Practice Management/Professional Development based hours.
**Audits of compliance will be conducted after each renewal cycle ends.**
Board Criteria for Continuing Education
The Board automatically approves courses that meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Any course approved by the Registry of Approved Continuing Education (RACE).
- Courses approved by the Board prior to October 1, 2018.
- Courses that meet the following criteria
1. Acceptable Subject Matter includes:
- Scientific based hours that are clinically applicable and related to diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease as it relates to patients.
- Practice Management/Professional Development and non-technical competency-based presentations including, but not limited to, leadership training, personnel management, client relations, communication training, and integrated resource management principles.
2. Presentations must be of sufficient caliber to be representative of the current acceptable level of professional veterinary education.
3. Intended Audience: The target audience for courses need not be specific to a veterinarian but must be appropriate to enhance, improve or maintain the professional knowledge of a veterinarian as outlined above.
4. Acceptable Methods of Delivery:
- Seminar, lecture, or other in-person/face-to-face program
- Online learning – such as webinar, teleconference, and other digital formats whether live or not
- Wet or dry laboratory
If a course does not meet the criteria for approved courses, you may submit a completed CE Course Approval Request Form. Submit this form only if a course does not meet the criteria for approved courses.
For additional information, please refer to the Board Policy on continuing education.
1560 Broadway, Suite 1350
Denver, CO 80202
Phone: 303-894-2363 | Fax: 303-894-0329 | Email: email@example.com