Office of Surgical Assistant & Surgical Technologist Registration: News
On June 10, 2016, Governor John Hickenlooper signed House Bill 16-1160 Concerning the Continuation of the Surgical Assistant and Surgical Technologist Registration Program. The bill continues the regulation of surgical assistants (SA) and surgical technologists (ST) and adds a new requirement that all SAs and STs must obtain a criminal history record check (CHRC) prior to applying for or renewing a registration. The Bill was effective on August 10, 2016. New applicants and current registrants (who will renew in Spring 2017) need to know the following:
- All applications received on or after August 10, 2016 will be required to have a CHRC.
- All SAs and STs expiring on March 31, 2017 must complete a CHRC in order to renew.
- Original, Reinstatement and Renewal applications will not be processed without the criminal history record check.
- Fingerprints must be taken by a qualified law enforcement agency (police or sheriff's office).
- The cost of the fingerprint and criminal history record check will be the responsibility of the individual. All fees must be paid by certified check, money order or by completing and submitting a credit card authorization form at the time the fingerprints are taken and submitted to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI). The $39.50 CBI fingerprint processing fee is in addition to any fee(s) a law enforcement agency may charge to do the fingerprinting and any application fees.
- Once the CBI processes fingerprint submissions for background checks, they provide the results to only the agency listed on the fingerprint card. According to state law, the results cannot be released/transferred by the CBI to any other organization that is not specifically listed on the fingerprint card.
- Only designated staff will have access to the background check records. The results are confidential.
- View more detailed instructions regarding the CHRC process.