Office of Speech-Language Pathology Certification: Continuing Professional Competency
Michael Reynolds, Division Wide Programs Manager
All Speech-Language Pathologists must begin to demonstrate Continuing Professional Competency (CPC) to practice speech-language pathology in the state of Colorado after renewing their initial certification (i.e., If your first certificate was issued during the middle of DORA’s renewal period and you renew it before it expires you must begin to complete continuing professional competency after renewing the initial license). CPC requirements must be met in order to renew or reinstate a certificate to practice speech-language pathology.
Effective immediately upon certification, Speech-Language Pathologists must demonstrate CPC in order to renew by one of the following three methods:
- Participation in the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Program
- Complete the Reflective Self-Assessment Tool (RSAT).
- Complete the Learning Goals Tool based off the RSAT.
- Accrue 10 Professional Development Activities (PDA) in line with your learning goals and retain documentation of the completed activities.
- Qualifying for Deemed Status
- If you participate in a continuing professional competency program of an accrediting body or entity that is substantially equivalent to the Director’s CPD Program you may be able to claim Deemed Status.
- Receiving a military exemption
- If you were called to federally-funded active duty for more than 120 days for the purpose of serving in a war, emergency or contingency, you may be eligible for an exemption from CPC requirements.
Details about how to meet CPC requirements by the three methods above can be found in the CPC Program Manual and other documents listed in the Resources section below.
**Audits of compliance will be conducted after a renewal period ends.**
After selecting the document, be sure to select the download icon in order to use the PDF fillable form.
- CPC Program Manual - this document explains, in detail, continuing professional competency requirements and the CPD program.
- Independent Learning/Group Study Form - use this form to document any PDA completed in the Independent Learning category and/or the Group Study category. If you are selected for an audit, you will provide this form to document any hours completed in these categories.
- Learning Plan Form - use this form to record the completion of your Professional Development Activities (PDA) and the learning goals that you created. If you are selected for an audit, you will provide this form (along with documentation as described in the PDA Chart).
- Professional Development Activities (PDA) Chart - this document summarizes the PDA or categories that you can choose from to complete the required 10 PDA (each renewal period). For detailed explanation of each category and its documentation requirements, see the CPC Program Manual.
- Reflective Self-Assessment Tool (RSAT) - use this form at the beginning of each renewal cycle to reflect on your professional knowledge and skills. Using the results, you will create learning goals to be worked on during the renewal period.
Continued Competency/Continued Professional Development
1560 Broadway, Suite 1350
Denver, CO 80202
Phone: 303-894-2363 | Fax: 303-869-0329 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org