Office of Fantasy Contest Operator Registration and Licensure: Program Information
Zen Mayhugh, Program Director
The Office of Fantasy Contest Operator Registration and Licensure regulates Fantasy Contest Operators in Colorado. Registration and licensure for Fantasy Contest Operators is mandatory in Colorado effective July 1, 2017.
The Office’s activities include registering small Fantasy Contest Operators (serving less than 7,500 customers), licensing large Fantasy Contest Operators (serving more than 7,500 customers), investigating complaints, determining discipline, and enforcing discipline for those who violate the Colorado Statutes and the Office of Fantasy Contest Operator Registration and Licensure Rules.
The Office is a Director-model program, meaning that Colorado Law authorizes the Director of the Division of Professions and Occupations to adopt rules, set fees, and approve applications for registration and licensure as a Fantasy Contest Operator, among other powers and duties.
Among other requirements, a licensed fantasy contest operator must:
- Obtain a registration (small fantasy contest operators) or license (large operators).
- Submit to a fingerprint-based criminal history record check in connection with initial licensure (not required of small operators).
- Not use a device that replicates or qualifies as limited gaming.
- Keep daily records of its operations and maintain the records for at least 3 years. A fantasy contest operator who violates the act is subject to a civil penalty of not more than $1,000 for each violation.
- Contract with a third party to annually perform an independent audit to ensure compliance and submit the results of the audit to the office (not required of small operators).
Meetings and rulemaking hearings are normally held at 1560 Broadway, Denver, Colorado. For specific dates, times and locations, please refer to the calendar. Please note that meeting dates are subject to change and/or cancellation.
Frequently Asked Questions
Calendar of Events
1560 Broadway, Suite 1350
Denver, CO 80202
Phone: 303-894-7800 | Fax: 303-894-7693 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org