Colorado Dental Board: Continuing Education
Every Dentist and Dental Hygienist, as a condition of renewing, reactivating or reinstating a license must obtain at least 30 hours of continuing education (CE) every two years to ensure patient safety and professional competency, CE hours may only be applied to the renewal period in which they were completed.
- American Dental Association (ADA) Continuing Education Recognition Program (CERP);
- Academy of General Dentistry (AGD) Program Approval for Continuing Education (PACE);
- American Medical Association (AMA) Physician Recognition Award (PRA) and credit system as Category 1 Credit; or
- Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) accredited institutions.
- The American Dental Hygienists” Association (ADHA) and its constituents and component societies; or
- Local, state, regional, national, or international dental, dental hygiene, dental assisting, medical-related professional organization, or study group that has a sound scientific basis, proven efficacy, and ensures public safety.
Continuing Education Requirements
Basic Life Support
Current Basic Life Support (BLS) for healthcare providers is required of all licensees and all licensees will receive a maximum of 2 hours continuing education credit (not to be applied towards the renewal of an anesthesia permit) for successful completion.
- Initial training shall include a minimum of three (3) hours of training, including skills practice and skills testing.
- Renewal courses shall include a minimum of two (2) hours of training, including skills practice and testing.
Anesthesia and Sedation Permit
Documentation and Audits of Compliance
A licensee must maintain copies of all completed Board approved coursework, including any certificates of completion, for at least two (2) renewal periods after the continuing education was completed. The records shall document the licensee’s course attendance and participation, and shall include at a minimum course sponsor, title, date(s), hours, and the course verification of completion certificate or form
**Licensees may be subject to a Board audit of compliance after each renewal period ends.**
Division Wide Programs
Continued Competency/Continued Professional Development
1560 Broadway, Suite 1350
Denver, CO 80202
Phone: 303-894-2363 | Fax: 303-869-0329 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org