Division of Professions and Occupations: Military Information

Eligibility Requirements for Military Renewal Fee Waiver

If the following requirements of §12-70-102, C.R.S. are established, you may be considered for a waiver of your renewal fees. Official military documentation must be provided that satisfies each of the following:

  1. Qualified service: Active duty personnel assigned to serve in an officially designated war, emergency or contingency may be eligible for exemption of renewal fees. Note: A contingency operation is one designated by the Secretary of Defense involving hostilities against an enemy of the United States or against an opposing military force. Current qualified contingencies include deployments to Afghanistan, Operation Enduring Freedom or Operation New Dawn. 
  2. Qualified service period: Must be at least 120 days in length.
  3. Qualified renewal cycle: The time frame of a renewal cycle is defined as the period from six (6) weeks prior to the expiration date of the current license through sixty (60) days following the expiration date. Your qualified service period in 2) above must fall within the defined renewal period or up to 6 months prior to the renewal period.  

If each of the above requirements is satisfied, you must provide official documentation and clearly identify how it shows each necessary requirement is met.  The requisite official documentation generally includes a copy of the official orders.  Upon receipt of your request and documentation, your eligibility to receive the following will be verified:

  • Exemption of renewal fees.
  • Exemption of continuing education or professional competency requirements (if applicable to your profession).

For individuals who meet the above requirements and who elect to pursue an exemption, please submit a copy of your orders or other official documentation that clearly identifies how you meet each of the above 3 requirements to: dora_dpo_licensing@state.co.us. We will respond and provide a decision regarding your qualification for exemption as well as how to proceed.

Requirements for Military Education and Training Toward Licensure

The Director and Boards shall, upon the submission of satisfactory evidence by an applicant, accept education and training received in the military towards the qualifications to receive licensure or certification. Military personnel covered by this legislation include members of the armed forces or reserves of the United States, the National Guard of any State, the military reserves of any state, or the naval militia of any state. Learn more about House Bill 11-1100.

Requirements for Relocated Military Spouse Licensure

For most professions regulated by the Division of Professions and Occupations, a military spouse who has been relocated to Colorado by military orders, and has an active license in good standing from another state, can practice for up to one year from the date they move before obtaining a Colorado license.

Before the end of your first year of residency in Colorado, you must obtain a Colorado license by completing the appropriate application along with the Military Spouse Exemption Form below. The exemption form should be included with your application and does not need to be submitted until you are ready to obtain your professional license in Colorado. 

Professions not included as part of this exemption include: Professional Engineers and Interns, Professional Land Surveyors and Interns, Architects, Optometrists, Physicians, Physician Assistants, and Anesthesia Assistants. Learn more about House Bill 12-1059.

If you have questions about any of the information listed above, or need assistance as a military service member or military spouse, please contact the DPO Military Credentialing Liaison:

JB Brower
Veterans Policy Analyst