Board of Accountancy: News
On May 20, 2019, Governor Jared Polis signed SB19-155 Sunset Accountancy Board. The new law goes into effect on July 1, 2019, and continues the Accountancy Board, which regulates certified public accountants and accounting firms, in the Department of Regulatory Agencies until September 1, 2030. The new law makes various technical changes and also:
- Modifies grounds for disciplinary action to include fraudulent, coercive, dishonest, incompetent, untrustworthy, or financially irresponsible practices.
- Clarifies that acting as the resident manager of a registered public accounting firm without an active CPA license is grounds for discipline.
- Specifies that foreign public accounting firms are exempt from state registration requirements provided their work in Colorado is incident to work conducted outside the state.
- Details the continuing education requirements for nonresident certificate holders.
- Specifies that individuals not licensed as CPAs may use an accounting designation that includes the word “management” conferred by nationally recognized accounting organizations, as long as the designation does not purport to confer the right to offer audit or attestation services.
The State Board of Accountancy held a stakeholder meeting on December 11, 2018, regarding proposed revisions to three rules and one addition that provides further clarity. Feedback was taken from stakeholders and a rulemaking hearing is scheduled during the January 23, 2019 Board of Accountancy meeting at 10:30 am.
Proposed Rule Revisions/Addition/Corrections: 3.6.A.3, 6.1.D, 6.11.A.2, and 6.11.A.3 and corrections with letter sequencing in 7.2, 6.11, and 6.12.
View the Redline Rules for discussion for the January 23, 2019 Rulemaking Hearing at 10:30 am at 1560 Broadway, Room 1250C, Denver CO 80202.
A webinar of the Rulemaking Hearing during the Board meeting will be available. To register, please go to the following link: https://attendee.gotowebinar.
Written comments can be sent to email@example.com
The State Board of Accountancy held a stakeholder meeting on December 11, 2018, regarding proposed revisions, an addition, and minor corrections.
Proposed Rule Revisions/Addition/Corrections: 3.6.A.3., 6.11.A.2, and 6.11.A.3 and corrections with letter sequencing in 7.2, 6.11, and 6.12.
To view the most recent rule version, which became effective on Nov. 19, 2018, please visit the Accountancy Laws, Rules and Policies page.
The State Board of Accountancy recently revised its rules. The Rules can be found at the Accountancy Laws, Rules and Policies page.