Get helpful information on setting yourself up for financial success, and how to be aware of financial scams targeted toward military and veterans communities.
Starting a Business
- Boots to Business is an entrepreneurial training program designed for Veterans and their dependents that have already made the transition back to civilian life offered by the U.S. Small Business Administration. When you're ready to register you business in Colorado, you can go through Colorado Business Express. DORA's Division of Securities provides information on how Crowdfunding may serve as a useful tool as part of this program. Visit the Equity Crowdfunding webpage to learn more. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Owning a Home
- The VA Home Loans program of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs provides information on how to own a home. It is designed to help Servicemembers, Veterans, and eligible surviving spouses become homeowners.
Financial Wellness Resources
- As part of a Military Financial Readiness Project, FINRA (Financial Industry Regulatory Authority) offers SaveAndInvest.org, which provides access to financial education information that will enable them to make prudent saving and investing decisions for themselves and their families.
- College Savings: https://www.saveandinvest.org/military/college-savings
- Credit and Debt: https://www.saveandinvest.org/military/credit-and-debt
- Everyday Finances: https://www.saveandinvest.org/military/everyday-finances
- Retirement: https://www.saveandinvest.org/military/retirement
- Transition: https://www.saveandinvest.org/military/transition
- Military Saves is a campaign coordinated by the nonprofit Consumer Federation of America (CFA) and is dedicated to helping servicemembers and their families save money, reduce debt, and build wealth. Go to MilitarySaves.org.
- Making a Plan: https://militarysaves.org/for-savers/make-a-plan-how-to-save
- Setting Goals: https://militarysaves.org/for-savers/set-a-goal-what-to-save-for
- Saving Your Money: https://militarysaves.org/for-savers/save-automatically
- Stop Fraud Colorado is a campaign coordinated by the Colorado Attorney Generals Office. It offers a guide of common scams that have been reported within the military communities — an important tool to assist in recognizing fraud before becoming a victim — and contact information to report any instance of fraud you may encounter. Go to StopFraudColorado.gov.
- Information for Military: https://www.stopfraudcolorado.gov/military
- Guide of Common Scams: https://www.stopfraudcolorado.gov/sites/default/files/Military%20Guide%2...
- The North American Securities Administrators Association offers information and resources to identify fraud, along with the publication, "Salute to Smart Investing" and a "Financial Field Guide." Visit NASAA.org.
- List of Informational Resources: http://www.nasaa.org/2396/resources-for-military-servicemembers/
- For Military Families: http://www.nasaa.org/investor-education/conversation-starters-military-f...
- Salute to Smart Investing: http://lightbulbpress.com/digital/SaluteGuide_2011g/
- Conversation Starters: http://www.nasaa.org/investor-education/conversation-starters-military-f...
Ask DORA your questions about financial information and resources for military, spouses and veterans - Contact Us at 720-593-6720.