Types of Programs We Fund
DOLA’s Division of Housing (DOH) provides financial support to developers, public housing authorities, and community organizations to fund the following types of affordable housing, homelessness prevention, and rental assistance projects:
Funding is available for single-family housing and multifamily housing projects, including new construction and land acquisition with preference toward multifamily projects serving the homeless, domestic violence and other special needs.
We help developers and local governments purchase property for new housing development.
Housing development and redevelopment
We provide resources for new housing development and neighborhood improvement projects.
For eligible projects, the division can provide short term funding for purchases until longer term financing is available.
Disaster recovery housing
We help citizens who have lost their housing to natural disasters with shelter, housing rehab and rental assistance.
Revolving Loan Fund (RLF)
We currently fund local agencies around the state to operate RLFs for Single Family Owner Occupied Rehabilitation (Rehab), Down Payment Assistance (DPA), and similar homeownership assistance programs.
Tenant-based rental assistance
We administer rental assistance that a tenant can take with them from one rental unit to another.
Homeless assistance & prevention
- Shelter & operating costs
- Essential social services
- Homelessness prevention, including emergency shelter
- Renovation, rehabilitation or conversion of buildings for use as emergency shelter or transitional housing for the homeless
The division partners with the Colorado Division of Child Welfare and local service providers to make Housing Choice Vouchers (HCVs) available to:
- Youth 18 - 21 years old who have aged out of foster care
- Families where lack of adequate housing is a primary factor in:
- The imminent placement of children in care outside the home
- The delay in the discharge of children to the family from out-of-home care.
Assistance to people living with AIDS
The division administers the Housing Opportunities for People with AIDS (HOPWA) program which provides funding for:
- Rental assistance
- Short-term payments to prevent homelessness
- Supportive health care and mental health services, chemical dependency treatment, nutritional services, case management and assistance with daily living
- Acquisition, rehabilitation or new construction of housing units
- Costs for facility operation
- Coordination of diverse community organizations and public agencies