Local Government Purchasing Assistance
The State-Local Purchasing Program enhances the procurement programs of counties, municipalities, school districts and special districts with access to state awards, cooperative purchasing, technical information and procurement alternatives.
The Colorado State Purchasing & Contracts Office and Division of Local Government relies on competitive bids to award contracts to purchase thousands of different commonly used commodities. Local governments can buy off these awards at volume discount prices, often without having to go through their own bidding process. Local governments annually purchase millions of dollars worth of vehicles through state awards. This benefits both the state and political subdivisions.
Purchasing From a State Award
State-local purchasing provides descriptions of price agreements and an on-line index used to buy directly from vendors. Vendors make shipments to and invoice direct with purchasers. Buying off state price agreements is a trouble-free process, compatible with current procurement procedures of individual organizations. Searching for the best price and supplier requires simply looking up the product in the appropriate award or index.
Advantages of Cooperative Purchasing
- Lower prices from competition for larger volumes.
- Reduced overhead costs because one organization handles the bidding process.
- Improved vendor relations as a result of volume business.
- Combined expertise of many purchasing professionals.
- Lower freight costs from "piggy-backing" orders for multiple organizations to one location.
Division of Local Government