Firefighter Cardiac Benefit Program
As of July 1, 2014, the Department of Local Affairs (DOLA) is responsible for administering the Firefighter Heart and Circulatory Malfunction Benefits (FCB) Fund. DOLA will reimburse qualifying employers for the costs of maintaining insurance coverage or alternate plans to provide the benefits required by CRS 29-5-302 to qualifying firefighters. Moneys in the FCB Fund will be used to reimburse employers for the direct costs of maintaining insurance coverage or alternate plans required by Senate Bill 14-172.
FCB Reimbursements for SFY18 will begin on July 15, 2018
Forms and Resources
- Program Guidelines
- Request Tutorial
- Program FAQ
- SB14-172 Fiscal Note
- FCB Online Reimbursement Instructions
The following entities are eligible to receive reimbursement as “employers” under the FCB Program:
- A municipality that employs one or more firefighters;
- A special district that employs one or more firefighters;
- A fire authority that employs one or more firefighters; or
- A county improvement district that employs one or more firefighters.
To be qualified as a “firefighter” for purposes of the FCB Program, an individual must:
- Be an active employee of an employer;
- Be a full-time employee of an employer who regularly works at least one thousand six hundred (1600) hours in any calendar year;
- Perform duties that are directly involved with the provision of fire protection services; and
- Have at least five years of continuous full-time employment with an employer.