Budget Information and Resources
In providing services to citizens, local governments determine which and what levels of services they provide through a budget process. Colorado local governments are required to prepare, adopt and file a budget with the Division annually.
Important Budget Dates
- August 25th: New assessed values (preliminary)
- October 15th: Budget submitted to governing body of your local government
- December 10th: Final assessed values released
- December 15th: Certification of mill levy to county commissioners
- December 31st: Deadline to adopt budget
- January 31st: Budgets due to DOLA via eFiling (Electronic Submissions instructions below)
Statute requires a few items be included with a budget filing. Use this checklist to ensure your budget meets the standards.
This budget calendar provides general dates to consider in the preparation and adoption of the budget. Each local government should use these to guide the creation of their own budget process calendar.
Budget amendments are occasionally necessary, and should be filed with the division when adopted by a local government.
Electronic submission must be in .pdf format (no .doc, .xls or other file types) is the preferred method of filing budget and other documents. This video walks you through uploading a budget document.
Log in using your e-filing user ID (i.e. EF00000ABC)
Continue past the contact update form, click on “Budget” tab
Select Add Document
Choose Annual Budget document type from the dropdown menu
Choose your budget document from a location on your system
Type in the date the document was adopted, fill-in the year the budget covers and add any comments desired
Confirm the information on the review page then click Submit Document