You may renew your adult driver license or ID card at any time prior to the expiration date - you shouldn't wait until it expires; online renewals aren't possible if your license is expired
Check eligibility to renew online
Please note that when you renew your driver license or identification card online, your printed receipt and the old/expired credential will serve as your temporary credential. You will not be issued the same temporary credential that is issued to those who visit a driver license office in person.
Check eligibility to renew by mail.
In An Office
Schedule an appointment - U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and individuals with temporarily lawful status in the U.S. may also visit any driver license office during normal business hours without an appointment
Minors under 21 years of age are eligible for a duplicate license, permit, or ID card
You must visit a driver license office to apply for a duplicate
Individuals Turning 21
Applicants turning 21 years of age must apply for their adult driver license, permit, or identification card on or after their 21st birthday by visiting an office
Commercial driver license are eligible for a duplicate license or permit
CO-RCSA SB13-251 Renewals
Please view question 48 on the SB251 FAQ.
What to Bring to Your Office Visit
- Your valid (or expired less than one year) Colorado driver license, instruction permit or identification card
- If you have lost your driver license, permit or identification card, or if it has been stolen, Learn what you should do.
- If your driver license is expired for more than 1 year you will be required to successfully pass the written exam, purchase an instruction permit, successfully pass the drive skills test then purchase a driver license.
- Please note: If your Colorado driver license or identification card is currently expired, and you are a U.S. citizen or are permanently lawfully present in the U.S., you will need to bring an additional document to demonstrate lawful presence in the U.S. Please see the DR2300A for document examples.
- Proof of current Colorado address
- Applicable fee
What to Expect During Your Office Visit
Vision screening (for driver licenses and permits)
Review temporary document for accuracy
When Will I Receive My New License?
- Your new driver license, permit or ID card will be mailed to the address you provide.
- Documents usually arrive in 10-14 business days, but may take up to 30 business days to be delivered.
- If you have not received your new license and it has been more than 30 days, please check your status using our online service.