Proof of Address
Two proof of physical Colorado address documents are required for following applicants:
- First time and new applicants
- Individuals with a Colorado driver license, instruction permit, or identification card that has been expired over one year
- Individuals changing the address on their card
- Individuals reinstating their driving privilege and require testing
Those individuals who are U.S. citizens or permanently lawfully present in the U.S. who are renewing their valid or expired less than one year Colorado driver license, instruction permit, or identification card can present only that document to meet the updated requirements, if the address on that document matches their current address.
Documents, letters or envelopes with labels, corrections or changes to name address or date will not be accepted. Documents that only display a PO box number will not be accepted.
Technicians may accept faxed documents from an established business only.
Electronic proofs of residency will be accepted.
All documents presented must be dated within one year of application
- Computer Generated Bill (utility, credit card, doctor, hospital, etc.)
- Bank Statement
- Pre-Printed Pay Stub
- First-Class Mail (government agency or court)
- Current Homeowner’s, Renter’s, or Motor Vehicle Insurance Policy
- Mortgage, Lease, or Rental Contract
- Transcript or Report Card from an Accredited School
- Motor Vehicle Registration
- USPS Change Of Address Form (CNL107)
- Postmarked first-class mail
NOTE: In order to meet the requirements for proof of address we suggest bringing more documentation than is necessary for every visit to a DMV office. Junk mail or bulk mailing (coupons, weekly mailers, advertising) and any hand-written documents are not acceptable as proof of address documentation.
Individuals who are unable to provide two acceptable documents to verify ‘Residential Address’ may be eligible to provide alternative documents to meet the requirements:
Minors Under Age 21
- Two documents are required; verification documents used by the parent are acceptable for use by the minor.
- The Colorado driver license/ID card/Permit of the parent counts as one document, provided the current address is listed on the front of the card.
- Homeless applicants without a residential address must provide a letter from a government entity, or not-for-profit organization with its letterhead showing the facility’s name, address and telephone number, including the legal representative’s name, signature and signature date. The letter must state, "will accept delivery of mail for the customer."
Customers With a Rural Route Mail Delivery Addess
- Must provide a properly certified government-issued document showing their name, and a description of the residence’s location
Residents of a Halfway House or Residential Treatment Facility
- Must provide a letter from the facility, on the facility’s letterhead showing the facility’s name, address, and telephone number.
- The letter must include the facility representative’s name, signature and date and indicate they will accept delivery of mail for the applicant.
Driver license, instruction permits or identification cards that are lost/stolen/mutilated can be replaced using the information on the lost/stolen document webpage.
NOTE: Customers must update their residential address within 30 days of obtaining a permanent residence per CRS 42-2-119.