Out-of-State Transfer - Adult
- You may transfer your valid, out-of-state driver license to Colorado.
- Per Colorado Revised Statute 24-60-1106, the license you previously held will be voided (it will be marked with a single hole punch in the upper right corner).
- If you do not have your out-of-state driver license, to waive the written exam and drive skills tests, you may provide a motor vehicle record from your previous state of residence. But you are still required to meet identity requirements.
- Motor Vehicle Record must:
- be printed within the last 30 days, and
- indicate valid driving privilege or privilege expired less than one year
When visiting a driver license office, please bring the following (please see the application checklist for more information):
- Your valid out-of-state driver license.
- If your out-of-state driver license is expired less than one year it may be used to waive the driving test. However, you will need to provide additional identification documents.
- Your certified original state- or county-issued birth certificate to establish lawful presence in the U.S. (Proof of lawful presence (if U.S. citizen or permanently lawfully present in the U.S.). If your name has changed, you will also need valid name change documents (such as marriage/divorce certificate) OR you may provide a valid, unexpired U.S. passport showing your full, current legal name - Identification documents
- If you are under the age of 21, an Affidavit of Identity (DR2304) must be signed by your parent/legal guardian in front of a driver license employee or notary if you do not have any identity documents. An Affidavit of Liability or Guardianship (DR2460) is also required if you are transferring a driver license.
- Your Social Security Card or acceptable Proof of your Social Security number
- Two Proof of current physical Colorado address documents
- Applicable fee
Please note - if you have previously held a Colorado license and have had a name change, you will need to bring name change documents.
New to Colorado from another country? Click here.