License Extensions

If your license is valid or expired for less than one year, you may request an extension if you are not in Colorado to renew your license. Note: there may not be any unpaid tickets on the record for an extension to be issued.
  • A sticker is issued to extend the expiration date of a license if a person is out of state/country or who are temporarily unable to apply in person due to physical impairment when their license expires.
  • A civilian extension is valid for one year from the expiration date and can only be issued once unless the person is out of the country. If out of country, a second extension may be issued with a separate request made within 90 days of expiration of the first extension. 
  • Colorado residents on active-duty military are eligible for an automatic three-year extension. If military personnel decide to apply for the extension sticker, the extension is free but the application must include a letter from your commanding officer stating that you are active duty military and currently stationed outside the state of Colorado or a copy of your military orders that state that you are stationed outside of Colorado. Requests for military extensions may be faxed to 303-205-5990.

See an entire list of fees here.

What is required? 
The department will need:
  • A written Request for Extension (DR2989), signed by you with an out-of-state mailing address
  • For civilians applying for an extension, provide your full legal name, date of birth, and out-of-state address on the request form and include payment of the appropriate fee. Make check or money order payable to the Colorado Department of Revenue.
Mail the request to:
Department of Revenue
Division of Motor Vehicles,
Room 164 - ROS
PO Box 173350 
Denver, CO 80217-3350
CDL Drivers Only: Due to medical and testing requirements, a 30-day extension is available.  A 30-day CDL extension is free.  Please submit your request to:  
Colorado Department of Revenue
Driver Control Section
Room 164 - ROS
PO Box 173350 
Denver, CO 80217-3350
CDL drivers in the military:  If you have a Colorado CDL license and are based out of the state or overseas, the license is automatically extended for up to three years per Colorado Revised Statute 42-2-118(2) as long as a military ID is presented with the license. Please do not request an extension, no sticker will be mailed.