Change Your Sex

To get a new credential, you must request the change in person and present a new Colorado birth certificate or DR 2083 form. There is no additional fee for people to change the sex identifier; however, individuals will need to pay the standard fee to obtain a new credential.
  • People can designate M (male), F (female) or X. 
  • To change your sex designation when renewing or applying for a driver license or identification card, you need to present a Colorado birth certificate or the DR2083 Change of Sex Designation form
  • Return the completed form to a driver license office and apply for or renew your credential to change your sex identifier. You must appear at an office in person to change your sex identifier.
    • If you changed your name, please visit the Social Security Administration, then wait 24 hours before visiting a Driver License Office with your new birth certificate so the DMV can add your new name.
  • Online renewal and renewal by mail cannot be used to change the sex designation on a Colorado driver license, identification card, or identification document.
  • Colorado law does not require residents to undergo any specific surgery, treatment, clinical care or behavioral healthcare to update their sex designation.
  • Under Colorado law, C.R.S. 42-2-107(2)(a)(III), the DMV may only amend a sex designation for a  person’s DMV credential one time on that person’s request. Additional requests require the person to submit a court order indicating the sex change designation is required.

More Information