Change Your Name
- Certified marriage certificate: US, city, county, state or US territory.
- No church documents are accepted.
- Foreign marriage certificates are not recognized in Colorado
- Certified civil union certificate: city, county, state or US territory
- Certified tribal court marriage certificate showing a file registration number and Bureau of Indian Affairs seal with the tribal name
- Certified divorce decree: US, city, county, state or US territory with case number and official signature
- Certified decree of separation: signed by the judge, with the name restored
- Certified court order of name change: US, city, county, state or US territory
A marriage/civil union certificate may now be used to add to or replace the last name(s) of a spouse/partner. For example, a last name can be added to the middle name field.
For example, a person named Susan Jane Jones presents a certified marriage certificate with spouse's last name Smith. An acceptable name change would be:
- Susan Jane Jones Smith
- Susan Jones Smith
- Susan Jane Smith Jones
- Susan Smith Jones
Additionally, if you are using a marriage/civil union certificate to change a name, that name can be changed to any combination of the spouse/partner’s last name(s) as reflected on the social security card or letter from the Social Security Administration.
- For example, if someone named Smith presents a certified marriage certificate with the spouse’s last name of Jones, their names could be changed to be Smith-Jones or Smith or Jones or a combination thereof. However, the names cannot be altered and/or combined without a court ordered name change.
If the spouse/partner’s name includes two or more names separated by a hyphen or space, the customer may adopt either name (both or all parts) of the last name, as long as it is reflected that way on the social security card or letter from the Social Security Administration.
If you were married outside of the U.S., please contact your county clerk and recorder's office for instructions on how to obtain a certified Colorado marriage license that can be used to change your name.
For additional information, call 303-205-5694