FEMA releases a Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) for the Pre-Disaster Mitigation (PDM) and Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA) grant programs

To All Interested Sub-Applicants:

Every year, FEMA releases a Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) for the Pre-Disaster Mitigation (PDM) and Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA) grant programs. The Colorado Division of Homeland Security & Emergency Management (DHSEM) is the designated applicant for these grant programs and is responsible for soliciting sub-applications from eligible sub-applicants. In this role, DHSEM assists in the preparation, review, and submission of eligible and complete applications to FEMA.

In an effort to encourage increased participation from stakeholders in the state, DHSEM is encouraging early submission of Notice of Interest (NOI) forms. The goal is to allow more time for the state to assist in the application preparation and review process in an effort to help sub-applicants develop complete and competitive applications.

To qualify for PDM or FMA, the sub-applicant must have a current FEMA-approved Local or Tribal Hazard Mitigation Plan (HMP) by the application deadline and it must be valid at the time of federal obligation of the grant funds. Applications for updating or developing a new mitigation plan do not have to meet this requirement. https://www.fema.gov/hazard-mitigation-plan-requirement

Please review the 2015 Hazard Mitigation Assistance (HMA) Unified Guidance and Addendum thoroughly to determine if your project idea is eligible; whether match requirements can be satisfied; and what environmental and historic preservation requirements will be necessary.

Federal funding is available for up to 75 percent of the eligible activity costs. The remaining 25 percent of eligible activity costs must be derived from local match sources. Please be aware that there is no State funding available at this time. Follow the links below for information on the Hazard Mitigation Assistance (HMA) Programs:

For additional information, please contact one of the State Mitigation Specialists listed below.

Matt Arsenault:  matt.arsenault@state.co.us Mitigation Project Specialist

Deanna Butterbaugh: deanna.butterbaugh@state.co.us Mitigation Project Specialist

Patricia Gavelda: patricia.gavelda@state.co.us Mitigation Planning Program Manager

Mark Thompson: markw.thompson@state.co.us Mitigation Planning Specialist