Colorado Emergency Management Academy Program
The Emergency Management Branch provides a nine month program for new and existing emergency managers throughout the State. The academy consists of training opportunities and resident courses that are developed to be Colorado specific and tailored to show Colorado processes. The academy will provide networking opportunities with emergency managers and professional across the state. It culminates with a week-long resident course with a final Emergency Operations Center based exercise.
There are several prerequisites required for the Emergency Management Academy. They include:
- FEMA Professional Development Series
- Introduction to Incident Command System [ICS 100]
- ICS for Single Resources and Initial Action Incidents [ICS-200]
- Intermediate ICS for Expanding Incidents for Operational First Responders [ICS-300]
- Advanced ICS for Command and General Staff, Complex Incidents and MACS for Operational First Responders [ICS-400]
- National Incident Management System (NIMS) An Introduction [IS-700)]
- An Introduction National Response Framework [IS-800]
2016 Emergency Management Academy Information
The program begins May 10, 2016 and runs until graduation on November 17, 2016.
The Emergency Management Academy and all resident courses are held at the State Emergency Operations Center in Centennial, Colorado.
Lodging is provided by DHSEM for program attendees who live more than 50 miles from the course venue.
There are no costs or fees for participating in the Emergency Management Academy. Students are responsible for their own meals.
An application must be submitted in February 15, 2016 and the participants are then notified by DHSEM.
The 2016 Emergency Management Academy Schedule offers an example of the courses completed during the academy.
- Introductions and Course Expectations
- Emergency Management Program Overview
- Basics for an Emergency Manager
- Emergency Management Program Guide
- Threat Hazard Identification Risk Assessment (THIRA)
- WebEOC Account Setup and Introduction
- G-235 Emergency Planning
- Whole Community Plans
- Plan Adoption Process
- Emergency Operation Plan Development
- G-250.7 Community Profile Development/ Rapid Needs Assessment
- G-358 Evacuation & Re-Entry Planning
- WebEOC Situational Awareness Module
- G-108 Mass Care
- G-288 Volunteer and Donations Management
- Public Information Officer Operations and Social Media
- G-775 Emergency Operations Center (EOC) Operations
- Local Resource Ordering
- WebEOC Operations Situational Awareness Module
- Initial Damage Assessment Process
- State Resource Ordering
- WebEOC Operations Resource Management Module
- G-270.4 Recovery from Disaster for Local Governments
- G-393 Mitigation Planning for Local Governments
- G-191 Incident Command System (ICS)/ Emergency Operations Center (EOC) Interface
- Emergency Operations Center (EOC) Exercise