READYColorado Blog: Wrapping Up the Holiday Season
The holiday season is upon us! READYColorado hopes your festivities are filled with friends, family, and safety!
Holiday lighting and decorations contribute to the splendor of the season but they can also significantly increase the risk of fires and electrical injuries if not used safely. The Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFi) has put together a comprehensive list of holiday lighting and decoration safety tips and resources. You can view the complete list at https://www.esfi.org/. Keep holiday safety a tradition in your home.
Safety Tips to Wrap Up the Season
- Holiday decorations are meant for temporary use.
- Leaving your decorations up for extended periods leaves wires unnecessarily exposed to the elements. This decreases the product’s shelf life and increases the risk of electrical hazards.
- Trees continue to dry out making them more flammable the longer they are displayed.
- Trees decorated with holiday lights have an increased risk because they are in direct contact with an electrical source.
- Remember to water your natural Christmas trees each day. Real trees can dry up quickly.
- Check with your local community to find a recycling program to dispose of your tree early in the new year.
- Keep decorations at least three feet away from heat sources.
- Always blow out candles when leaving the room or going to bed for the night.
- Remember to turn off space heaters when leaving the room.
Please visit www.electrical-safety.org for additional information.
Resources from ESFi
- Christmas Tree Safety Tips
- 12 Winter Holiday Safety Tips
- Candle Safety Tips
- Wrapping Up the Holiday Season