READYColorado Blog: Winter Weather Travel Safety
Whenever winter weather arrives, remember this simple message: Get to where you need to be before the weather gets bad! In other words, stay off the roads when it snows!
- Most winter storm deaths result from vehicle or other transportation accidents caused by ice and snow.
- Avoid driving when conditions include sleet, freezing rain or drizzle, snow or dense fog.
- Serious conditions are often underestimated and they make driving, and even walking outside, very hazardous.
Think about, explore and plan for alternate routes now:
With winter on the horizon, we encourage you to begin thinking about your commute. Do you have alternate routes available in case there is a need to modify your path?
- Information on road conditions in Colorado is available at www.cotrip.org or by calling the toll free number at 1-877-315-7623.
- Dialing 511 from anywhere in Colorado will also access Colorado road reports.
- You can get road conditions directly on your smart phone or tablet using the free CDOT mobile app available on IOS and Android devices.
- Road conditions for neighboring states can be obtained on a link from www.cotrip.org.
Winter Emergency Road Kit
Another thing you can do to prepare right now is ensure that your winter emergency road kit is ready to go when you are on the go. Here is a list of items you should include in your kit:
- Shovel & Windshield scraper
- Flashlight & Extra batteries
- Battery powered radio
- Water & Snack food
- Extra hats, socks and mittens
- First aid kit with pocket knife
- Necessary medications
- Tow chain or rope
- Road salt and sand
- Booster cables
- Emergency flares
- Fluorescent distress flag