READYColorado Blog: See Something, Say Something
The nationwide "If You See Something, Say Something" public awareness campaign was created to raise public awareness of indicators of terrorism and terrorism-related crime, and to emphasize the importance of reporting suspicious activity to the proper local law enforcement authorities.
If you see something suspicious taking place, report the behavior or activity to local law enforcement or, in the case of emergency, call 9-1-1. Never try to handle or intervene in the situation on your own. Let trained authorities take the proper steps.
Visit our Colorado Information Analysis Center webpage for resources on:
- Suspicious Activity
- Eight Signs of Terrorism PSA
- Community Awareness Program
- Special Event Support
- Active Shooter Preparedness Program from DHS
Recognizing Suspicious People
Suspicious people may often be identified by their behavior. While no single behavioral activity is proof that someone is planning to act inappropriately, these factors can help you assess whether someone poses a threat. Behavioral factors to watch for include:
- Nervousness, nervous glancing or other signs of mental discomfort/being ill-at-ease. This may include sweating or "tunnel vision" (i.e., staring forward inappropriately).
- Inappropriate, oversized, loose-fitting clothes (i.e, a heavy overcoat on a warm day).
- Keeping hands in pockets or cupping hands (i.e., holding a triggering device).
- Constantly favoring one side or one area of the body as if wearing something unusual/uncomfortable (i.e., a holster).
- Pay attention to a person constantly adjusting waistbands, ankles, or other clothing. Suicide bombers have been known to repeatedly pat themselves to verify that the bomb vest or belt is still attached.
Reporting Suspicious Behavior
Report suspicious activity to your local law enforcement agency, such as a police department or sheriff’s office, and the Colorado Information Analysis Center at:
- Submit a report online at http://report.ciac.co.gov/
- Use the mobile app for IPhone or Droid