One-Time Election Period for State Employees as part of the Affordable Care Act
As part of the Affordable Care Act, the State of Colorado is providing employees who need to make a change in their medical benefits in order to be compliant with the federal mandate, a one-time election from Dec. 16, 2013 through June 30, 2014.
During the special one-time election period, employees will have the following options, without the requirement of a qualifying life event:
- If an employee is not covered through a state-sponsored Medical plan, they may elect benefits during this time.
- If an employee wants to drop their current medical coverage with the state, they may do so during this time.
- If an employee wants to add a dependent to their current medical state-sponsored plan, they may do so during this time.
- If an employee wants to drop a dependent from their medical state-sponsored plan, they may do so during this time.
Employees are not able to change medical plans during the one-time election period – however, they may add or drop a medical plan. Additionally, employees are only able to make change to their medical benefit plan once during the one-time election period. If an employee drops their medical state-sponsored plan during the one-time election period, they will not be able to come back on to a state medical plan, unless it is during the annual state enrollment period in April and May, or they have a qualified life event pursuant to IRS 1.125-4.
How it Works:
For employees enrolling in medical benefits during the one-time election, coverage will be effective the first of the month following the date of entry into the benefits system. Employees can enter a one-time change to their medical benefits in the state benefit’s system using the following instructions:
- Visit benefitsolver.com
- Login with your user name and password
If you do not know your user name and/or password
- Click on forgot password
- Enter your social security number and date of birth. The state company key is: soc
- Answer the security question
- This will bring up the user name and will require a new password.
- Use the new information log into the system
- Click on the green button in the upper right hand corner that says “Start Here”
- Click on Life Event and select the reason code of “ACA Add/Drop
- Enter the change in the system.
For additional information on the special one-time election period please contact the State of Colorado Employee Benefits Unit by at firstname.lastname@example.org,