FAQ - Submitting Your Application
- Follow the directions as specified in the job announcement.
- Make sure your application is thorough. Applications may be rejected if they are incomplete and/or if they are missing information on your education and work experience. Generally, resumes will not be accepted in place of a completed application.
- Submit your application by the closing date: applications must be submitted by the date and time noted on the announcements. Applications in progress when the announcement closes will not be submitted.
- If you are not submitting an application using the online system, remember to submit your application to the correct location. If sent to the wrong location, it will likely result in not being considered for the job.
- Have any necessary electronic attachments available to upload with your application such as transcripts, professional licenses, form DD-214s, etc.
Does the State of Colorado give preference to veterans when hiring?
Yes. The Colorado Constitution (Article XII, Section 15) authorizes veterans’ preference. Eligibility requirements are as follows:
- Veterans who served on active duty for a specific time period that is authorized for preference by U.S. Congress.
- Veterans who served on active duty during authorized time periods and received a specific campaign badge or service medal
- Veterans who served on active duty and who because of a disability incurred in the line of duty are receiving monetary compensation or disability retired benefits
Pursuant to Article XII, Section 15(5) of the Colorado Constitution, no person shall receive preference with respect to a promotional opportunity. Any promotional opportunity that is also open to persons other than employees, for whom such appointment would be a promotion, shall be considered a promotional opportunity for the purposes of this section.
What documents do I need to provide to receive veterans preference?
If you believe you are eligible for Veterans’ Preference, attach documentation to your application including a DD-214, Member 4 showing the character of service. If you believe you are eligible for Veterans Preference as a disabled veteran, along with the DD-214, your application should also include a letter from the Veteran’s Administration indicating a service-connected disability.
IS AN ONLINE APPLICATION MY ONLY OPTION TO APPLY?
No. Paper applications are also accepted. However, we recommend that you try our online application system at www.colorado.gov/cojobs. This website will enable you to create a secure profile that can save as many applications, resumes and other electronic documents you wish to submit for various positions. This system is also the easiest way to check the status of any position you apply for.
Please click here for a PDF version of the paper application.
Important note: Addresses and fax numbers may be different for each job posting – be sure that you are submitting your paper application to the correct address and/or fax number listed on each job posting.