Fleet FAQ

Q. What do I do when I get into an accident?
A. Fleet recommends the following in the event of an accident:
1. Immediately contact law enforcement, or dial 911. Do not leave the scene or move the vehicle until law enforcement gives you permission. If the vehicles create a definite hazard, please mark the location of each vehicle involved, take pictures if possible, and then move the vehicle. 
2. While you are waiting for law enforcement, you may wish to jot down notes of your observations and contact your supervisor. Do not admit fault, avoid making statements concerning the accident or liability, except to law enforcement or your supervisor. The State of Colorado Insurance card is located on the last page of the Vehicle Operator’s Manual.
3. While you are waiting for law enforcement to complete their investigation, ask potential witnesses for their names and contact information. If you have a camera available, take pictures of the damage, and the license number of the other party.
4. Complete the Origami Online Accident Reporting System using the DRM-01 Roadside Form which should be located in your vehicle packet and send a signed copy to Fleet Management within 24 hours of the accident; we can be reached at 303-866-5565 or via email dpa_collisions@state.co.us You will also need to obtain a copy of the Police accident report from the law enforcement department that investigated the accident. We will work with you to coordinate vehicle repairs and insurance claims.
Q. I am driving my personal vehicle on state business and have an accident. Does the State pay my collision damages?
A. Personal vehicles used for state business are not provided liability or physical damage protection under the state’s self- insured liability program. The State provides mileage reimbursement for the use of personal vehicles, which is calculated factoring in costs for fuel, maintenance, repairs, and insurance. Damage and expenses related to personal vehicle use is therefore the sole responsibility of the driver and must be submitted to your personal automobile insurance. If you are injured while driving your personal vehicle on state business, we ask that you report this to your supervisor for Workers’ Compensation purposes.
Q. What are the different types of electric vehicles?

Conventional Internal Combustion Engine (ICE): Your conventional engines, powered by gasoline, diesel, biofuels or even natural gas. These make up the bulk of the vehicles on the road, and you are likely very familiar with them. While today's ICEs are significantly more efficient and have lower emissions than those from decades ago, the fundamental technology — burning fuel to create power — remains the same.

Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV): The battery replenishes itself via energy generated by the ICE as well as regenerative braking (a unique technique used in EV’s to capture its kinetic energy that would have been wasted when the vehicle decelerates or comes to a standstill while braking). The addition of the batteries provides a very efficient means of getting the vehicle moving which consumes a significant amount of fuel.

Plug-in Hybrid Vehicle (PHEV): This type of EV is powered by both gasoline and electricity.  Compared to a standard hybrid, however, a PHEV — as the name suggests — may be plugged into an outlet or charging station to recharge the on-board battery. Additionally, this type of vehicle usually possesses the ability to run solely on battery power, solely on gas, or a combination of both, providing an extended range of the vehicle to travel on a fueling.

Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV): Referred to at times as a Full Electric vehicle, only batteries power these vehicles; the only way to recharge them is to plug them into an electrical outlet. Though very efficient to operate, the range of these vehicles currently sits between 150 miles and 300 miles per charge. There are three levels of charger — 1, 2, and 3. The higher the number the faster the capability to recharge and the more expensive the charger and electricity. This link will help you better understand the intricacies of the different EV Chargers.

As you can see, going electric will be a change for your organization and will require not only participation from your Fleet team but Budget and Operations as well.

For additional information on Electric Vehicles, please visit the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) website.

Q. What tools can help me calculate the impact of an EV on my fleet and utility line?
A. Typically it takes .33 Kwh to travel 1 mile in an Electric Vehicle. Review miles traveled by your fleet vehicle in CARS and multiply by .33 to receive your Kwh load. Working with the Facilities team at your agency, multiply this number by the cost per Kwh to understand the expense increase to your utility line. SFM will pay this fuel cost and must be reported monthly by vehicle. Another useful tool can be located here to allow you to perform this process quickly. 
Q. When are odometer readings due?
A. See schedule under “Billing.”
Q. How can I get vehicle billing codes changed?
A. Send an email request to dpa_sfmbilling@state.co.us, please provide license number, whether the change applies to fixed or variable charges or both and the effective date.
Q. What should I do if I cannot get a log in screen?
A. In most cases, be sure you are in Internet Explorer, and the app is saved as a trusted site and compatibility setting for this site is turned on. For these instructions go to trusted compatibility.
Q. What is commuting? 
A. Commuting - Travel Between an officer's or employee's personal residence to one or more regular places of business. Further guidance can be found at the Office of the State Controller website under Technical Guidance Taxability of State -Owned Vehicles.
Q. Where can I find information on the Commuting program?
IRS Guidelines - (current version - January 2014)
Q. When does my vehicle need an emission test?
A. When your vehicle is purchased new from a dealer, it has a seven-year validation for emission. Regular emission tests are required every other year if it is registered in the emissions testing area and must be completed before registration renewal is submitted to the Department of Revenue. You will also need an emissions test before turning in a vehicle to State Fleet Management if it is more than nine months old. For more guidance you can refer to the Registration Receipt Guide or the Department of Revenue emissions FAQs.
Q. Where do I get my emission test done?
A. There are several Air Care Colorado Envirotest stations located throughout the Front Range. For the location near you call (303) 456-7090. Also upon request, the Fleet Management office can provide a map of those areas.
Q. How is the emissions test paid for?
A. The Envirotest station will ask for the license plate and VIN numbers and registration upon arrival. Envirotest will bill Fleet Management directly for all state vehicles enrolled in Fleet Management’s program. Non-Fleet Management vehicles are charged to the individual agency.
Fuel Card Questions
Q. How do I get a new fuel card?
A. To request a new card, call Fleet Management at (303) 866-5222 with the vehicle’s license plate number and reason for the request. Fleet staff verifies all requests with the agency’s vehicle coordinator before ordering fuel cards from the State’s vendor. New cards are mailed directly to the appropriate agency, usually within one to three business days.
Q. What is a PIN?
A. The Personal Identification Number (PIN) is used for security purposes when making a fuel purchase. If you do not know the PIN, contact your vehicle coordinator or Fleet Management at (303) 866-5222.
Q. Who do I contact if my fuel card is not working?
A. Fleet recommends checking with the station to ensure they accept the fuel card before pumping fuel. If the fuel card is accepted at the station but the charge is rejected, contact the fuel card vendor at the phone number listed on the back of the card. The fuel card vendor can work with the station and/or Fleet Management staff to immediately resolve the issue. If the problem was due to a card defect or administrative error, please contact Fleet Management at 303-866-5222, following the procedures listed above under “How do I get a new fuel card.”
Q. How do I get reimbursed when I used my personal credit card or cash because the fuel card provider declined a transaction?
A. Please contact your vehicle coordinator or supervisor to process your reimbursement request. Fleet Management does not reimburse drivers directly but will provide reimbursement to your agency where applicable. A copy of the receipt, vehicle license number and an explanation of what happened will be need as backup to the reimbursement request.
Q. Do I have to turn in my vehicle if I drive less than the set utilization code?
A. Minimum mileage requirements are determined by the utilization code assigned to the vehicle. These are for very specific job functions, so be sure the vehicle has the appropriate code. Underutilized vehicles are reviewed each year. If a vehicle appears on the underutilized list two consecutive years, the agency will need to justify why. If the agency cannot justify why a vehicle did not meet the minimum, the vehicle could be reduced or mandated to be turned in.
Q. How can I change a utilization code?
A. Send an email request to dpa_sfmbilling@state.co.us with the vehicle’s license plate number and an explanation of justification for the change.
Q. What should I do if I need to move a vehicle to another Department and/or Unit within my Cabinet?
A. Fill out the Internal Transfer Form. Ensure all fields are complete. If the vehicle you are moving has a coding element that is not listed on the form, add a new column for the coding. More detailed instructions can be found on the Instructions tab within the form.
Q: Is there a calendar of the annual Fleet action items?
A: Yes. The Fleet Calendar provides a general outline for Fleet generated events the Fleet Coordinators can expect throughout the year. 
Q. I am driving my personal vehicle on state business and have an accident. Does the State pay my collision damages?
A. Personal vehicles used for state business are not provided liability or physical damage protection under the state’s self- insured liability program. The State provides mileage reimbursement for the use of personal vehicles, which is calculated factoring in costs for fuel, maintenance, repairs, and insurance. Damage and expenses related to personal vehicle use is therefore the sole responsibility of the driver and must be submitted to your personal automobile insurance.  If you are injured while driving your personal vehicle on state business, we ask that you report this to your supervisor for Workers’ Compensation purposes.
Q. How does the state insure its vehicles? What do I show to the police officer if pulled over?
A. The State self-insures state vehicles for liability under the terms of the Government Immunity Act (GIA). Self-insurance certificates are located in the Vehicle Operator’s Manual inside the vehicle packet on the last page.
Proper Use of State Vehicles
Q. What is Approved Personal Use?
A. State vehicles are only to be used for official business use and De Minimus personal use as defined by the Office of the State Controller Technical Guidance and the IRS. Employees can be held accountable and/or liable for any unauthorized personal use.
Q. What is De Minimus Personal Use?
A. De Minimis Personal Use- Includes infrequent use of a vehicle for personal use. For example, a stop for a personal errand on the way between a work location and the employee's home. Use of a State -owned vehicle for commuting for more than once a month is not considered de minimis personal use. Further guidance can be found at the Office of the State Controller website under Technical Guidance Taxability of State -Owned Vehicles. 
Q. What happens if I am injured while driving a state vehicle?
A. If you are injured while driving a state vehicle, we ask that you report this to law enforcement on scene, and request medical assistance if necessary. Also contact your supervisor for Workers’ Compensation purposes, and follow the procedures for reporting an accident as described in the “What do I do when I get into an accident?” section of this document.
Q. When can I allow my spouse, kids, or pets to ride in or drive a state vehicle?
A. The State Vehicle Use Guide states that only State employees are covered under liability insurance and should occupy state vehicles. The policy states that a vehicle shall be used only for the conduct of official state business and that vehicles cannot be used for transporting family members, any other persons or pets unrelated to the conduct of state business. An authorized volunteer can drive and ride in a state vehicle while conducting official state business.
Q. If a non-state employee is attending the same meeting that I am for state business, can they ride in the vehicle with me?
A. Yes provided they meet the criteria for vehicle use as established in the State Vehicle Use Guide.
Q. I am picking up a state vehicle tonight for a trip tomorrow. Is this okay to do?
A. Yes, it is okay to pick up the vehicle the night before a trip, as long as you only use it for state business per the State Vehicle Use Guide.
Q. My kids’ school is on the way home; can I pick them up in the state vehicle?
A. No. Children are excluded from riding in state vehicles at all times per the State Vehicle Use Guide.
Q. Can I smoke in a state vehicle?
A. No. Smoking or other tobacco use is not permitted in state vehicles. Please refer to Division of Central Services Rule 4.24.
Q. I received a speeding ticket while driving a state vehicle, am I responsible for paying the ticket?
A. Yes. Any employee in possession of a state vehicle is responsible for any citation given to them. This includes, but is not limited to, citations for parking violations, speeding, expired tags, or not wearing a seat belt.
Q. Can a temporary employee drive a state vehicle?
A. Yes, provided they are a "state temp" and they meet the criteria for vehicle use as established by the State Vehicle Use Guide.
Q. What should I do if I have lost my vehicle keys or locked them in the vehicle?
A. SFM does not keep extra vehicle keys, all vehicle keys are provided to the agency at the time of assignment. Fleet recommends that drivers contact their agency’s vehicle or fleet coordinator to see if they have an extra set, or call a locksmith for assistance. Replacement keys and locksmith costs are the agency’s responsibility.  
Q. Who do I talk to about tune-ups, oil changes, and tows?
A. Fleet Management Authorizations, (303) 866-5566 or (800) 356-3846, our call center technicians can provide you with information regarding the maintenance and care of your vehicle. Towing services can be found in the quick reference section of the Vehicle Operator’s Manual beginning on page 1.
Q. My vehicle is in the shop for repairs, where can I get a loaner?
A. Short-term (daily or weekly) rentals can be scheduled through the Motor Pool located at 1555 Sherman in the alley. For specific information, dates, and times logon to https://colorado.agilefleet.com/Login.asp or call (303) 866-3030.
Q. If I need repairs on the weekend, what do I do?
A. If emergency repairs MUST be done after normal business hours or on a weekend, instruct the repair vendor to call the Fleet Authorization Call Center at 303-866-5566 or 1-800-356-3846.  These calls are answered by the State Help Desk on weekends and after hours, be sure to leave the vendor’s name, phone number, and reason for repair. A Fleet service specialist will return the call the following workday. The Fleet Authorization Call Center Technicians are available Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.  
Q. Can I use the private garage for repairs that I have always used?
A. Yes, provided the vendor is registered with Fleet. Fleet Authorization staff can work with a prospective vendor to complete registration immediately. Please note that it is very important for prospective vendors to contact us prior to starting work, so that we can ensure their acceptance of applicable state price agreements. This step protects the driver and/or agency from liability for the cost of the repairs. If the vendor will not accept state price agreements, Fleet can offer recommendations to any of its nearly 3,000 active vendors.
Q. Who will change my flat tire?
A. The driver is responsible for changing flat tires.
Q. Can I get my car detailed with my fuel card?
A. No, the fuel card will only accept authorizations for the purchase of fuel, washer fluid, a quart of oil, windshield wipers, and car washes.
Q. What is Telematics?
A. "TELEMATICS is a method of monitoring an asset (car, truck, heavy equipment, or even ship) by using GPS and onboard diagnostics to record events on a computerized data stream, map, or report."  Please visit our Telematics page for more information.
Q. Why does the State need Telematics?
A. The State’s large service area, diverse duties, and limited resources require careful management of  vehicle assets. Telematics allows the State to automate reporting, improve oversight, and provide better operational feedback. All these items will allow for a more efficient use of the  vehicles. Additionally, ELD is mandated by the Federal Motor Carriers Safety Administration for Commercial Motor Vehicles that must report hours of service. Geotab ELD service is part of the base offering to the state of Colorado.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
Q.  Does the Sprint/Geotab Telematics service meet the DOT mandated ELD requirements.
A.  Yes, the Sprint/Geotab Telematics service will meet the Department of Transportation (DOT) mandated Electronic Logging Device (ELD) requirement.  Please visit Geotab’s ELD Compliance page for more information.
Q. What is the cost of the Sprint/Geotab Telematics service?
A.  The cost of the Sprint/Geotab Telematics ProPlus service is $18.25 per month, per vehicle.  There is an additional cost to install the Geotab device, which is billed separately to each Department.  Please contact Sprint to discuss installation options, availability and pricing.  *If you are purchasing this service to comply with the DOT mandated ELD requirements, the installation cost is covered through State Fleet Management.  Please mention this to the Sprint representative when discussing installation options and be sure to contact the State Fleet call center at 303-866-5566 to request a P.O. Number before installation.   Contact Information:  StateofColoradoGeotabOrders@sprint.com, Jeremy Cost at Jeremy.Cost@sprint.com or 720-545-0218 or Anthony Daher at Anthony.Daher@sprint.com or 720-420-6918)
Q. How do I purchase the Sprint/Geotab Telematics solution for my agency’s State Fleet vehicles?
A. Specific ordering instructions can be found on the State Pricing Agreement site under Sprint.
Q. Can I discontinue the Sprint/Geotab Telematics service for my agency at any time?
A. Yes, you can discontinue the Sprint/Geotab Telematics service at any time.  It is important to note, however, that once the device has been disconnected from service, it cannot be used again and a new device will need to be installed to regain service.  If you are unsure that you want to discontinue the service, an alternative solution is to put the device in suspend mode for $5.00 per month, per vehicle.  Then if you decide to resume service, additional installation costs can be deterred.
Vehicle Registration
Q. Do I need to sign my registration card?
A. Yes. Per Department of Revenue, State of Colorado Statute, all registration cards are required to be signed and dated.
Vehicle Replacement
Q. When my vehicle is denied repair or is totaled in an accident, and I need a replacement vehicle, will you replace it with a like-vehicle?
A. Yes, in most cases. We will review the agency’s needs to make sure the most efficient vehicle is utilized.
Vehicle Turn In Requirements
Q. What do I need to do when I turn in my vehicle to Fleet?
A. Please refer to the Vehicle Turn In Requirement procedures.

NAFA Logo-Sustainable Fleet