State Patrol Cadet/Trooper Minimum Requirements
- Applicants must be a Colorado resident to apply. Those enrolled in a Colorado University or College, Colorado residents enrolled in an out-of-state University or College, and military personnel with a DD-2058 indicating Colorado as a State of Residence may also be allowed to advance. Please see requirements posted in the job announcement for specific qualifications and instructions.
- Must be age 20 years of age to apply and be at least 21 years of age at the start of the next scheduled academy class (Academy January and July of each year);
- Must have a high school diploma or GED at time of application;
- An applicant is not required to be a US Citizen to apply, however, they must have documentation that allows them to live and work in the United States according to the Department of Homeland Security, US Citizenship and Immigration Services. Documentation is specified on the Form I-9 issued by the Department of Homeland Security;
- Applicants must have a current and valid State of Colorado Driver's License at the start of the academy.
- Colorado State Patrol Tattoo Policy
Lateral Cadets Must Meet the Above Minimum Requirements PLUS Have the Following Required Preferred Qualifications
- This position is intended for experienced law enforcement police officers. This position is required to be certified under Level I Peace Officers in Colorado as defined by CRS Section 16-2.5-101 (i.e. Colorado POST certified.)
- Must have current Colorado Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST Certification) as defined above;
- Must have at least three (3) years full-time equivalent, paid, in good standing "patrol officer" experience within the last five (5) years at the time of application;
- The Department reserves the right to consider retirees and those who were laid-off, who were in good standing on a case-by-case basis.
- The following is a list of some experience that wil NOT be considered under the Colorado State Patrol's Lateral Program:
- A Military, District Attorney or Federal Police Officer experience;
- A jail/corrections/security officer;
- Experience gained in a training academy.
Those who qualify for the Lateral and the Cadet recruitment must select only one (1) recruitment for competition; you may NOT apply for both Cadet and Lateral Cadet. If you do not have the requirements as listed above, you may need to wait until the Patrol recruits for Cadet.
For more information regarding whether or not your experience will qualify under the Lateral Program, please Contact a Recruiter or Human Resources Analyst, Sandie Seegmiller via e-mail at Sandie.Seegmiller@state.co.us.
Please note: If you are removed from the process you may not be allowed to reapply for one year from the date of the last examination phase you completed, please contact the Human Resources Analyst for the Cadet Program for questions regarding this rule.
If you have questions, please Contact a Recruiter
The Colorado State Patrol is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Applicant must be willing to serve a one year probationary period;
- Must be able to effectively communicate fluently in English verbally and in writing;
- Must meet the standards of the Colorado State Patrol Drug-free Workplace Policy including passing a pre-employment Drug Screen; Substance Abuse Policy
- Must be available to work 24/7 as needed for emergency response. This includes availability to work weekends, nights, holidays, and rotating shifts, and work in all weather conditions;
- Applicants must be willing to be fingerprinted and must be able to pass an extensive background investigation, psychological examination, medical/physical, physical fitness/agility tests, and submit to a pre-employment polygraph;
- The background investigation is based on the following criteria, including, but not limited to: Driving history, criminal behavior/history, alcohol use/behavior, drug use/behavior, and integrity. If you omit any material fact on your application/testing materials, whether intentional or unintentional, you will be disqualified. If any disqualifying information is discovered at any stage of the selection process, you will be removed from consideration for the position;
- Vision must be unimpaired or correctable to 20/20 and must possess normal color vision, depth perception, night vision, near acuity, far acuity, accommodation and field of vision including peripheral;
- Must be able to hear and understand voice and radio communication either aided or unaided.
These requirements are subject to change by the Colorado State Patrol Executive Command Staff at any time before any actual job posting. If you have questions, please Contact a Recruiter