State Patrol Cadet/Trooper Examination Process
The Colorado Constitution and the Department of Personnel outline strict processes and procedures which must be followed to fill jobs at the Colorado State Patrol. The Colorado State Patrol & Department of Public Safety Human Resources Staff are committed to providing selection and examination processes that are appropriate for the position, as well as identifying “top notch” candidates.
There are several different phases in the hiring process for the Colorado State Patrol Cadet that can take up to one year to process, primarily due to the number of candidates that apply.
Step 1: You may submit an online employment application, before the closing date of the announcement, by visiting the State of Colorado's online application website at CoJobs. An HR Analyst will review your online application against the state's minimum qualifications (MQ's) for the job. After review of MQ's you may potentially be officially invited to test. You must have an official invitation from Human Resources in order to be admitted into the testing facility. This comes shortly after your application is approved via email. Please make sure you check you inbox, including your spam folder for correspondence from us.
Colorado State Patrol Applications are currently closed. We expect to once again accept applications in January, 2018 for an Academy that begins July, 2018
MQ PHASE: After you have been qualified by an HR Analyst, eligible applicants will be invited to the first exam phase (see below). Each phase of the process below is numerically scored. Only those that meet or exceed the pass points for each examination phase will continue on into the remaining phases of the process.
Examination Phase 1: Written Examination: The CWH Next Generation Entry Level Law Enforcement Aptitude Test is comprised of 136 multiple choice items. The format of the items on the test include basic academic items (such as reading comprehension and grammar), situational judgment, and conditional reasoning. Candidates are given 3 hours and 15 minutes to complete the test (there are no timed subsections - candidates may continue at their own pace throughout the test administration.) Written Test STUDY GUIDE.
Examinations are tentatively scheduled to take place between May 7th and May 17th, 2017 in the following cities, applicants must attend one of the testing locations in person upon recieving a official testing invite from Human Resources:
YOU MUST BE PROPERLY SCHEDULED BY INVITE FOR A TESTING LOCATION TO BE ALLOWED TO TEST. YOU CANNOT SIMPLY SHOW UP AT A TESTING LOCATION WITHOUT AN INVITATION FROM CSP HR **(EXCEPTION - CALIFORNIA ON- THE- SPOT APPLICATIONS AND TESTING - SEE TROOPER GILBERT CARDENAS AT CAMP PENDLETON OR TWENTYNINE PALMS and BRING PT GEAR)**
- Twentynine Palms, California: Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center: Career Resource Office
- (Applicants must possess proper Military Identification or be a civilian and have never previously visited Twentynine Palms to access this test location.)
- If you are a civilian, have never visited, and would like to test here, please apply now and contact Trooper Gil Cardenas below to make sure he has space available to test you prior to attempting to enter the base. He will give you further instructions.
- Applicants will be tested on site. Please bring your PT gear.
- Date: April 21, 2017 at 1300 hours
- Address: Building 1526, MGAGCC, Twentynine Palms, CA 92278; Main Classroom: Click here for directions.
- Point of Contact for this location only: Trooper Gil Cardenas (USMC - Ret) - Cell: 303-917-8678
- Golden, Colorado, Colorado State Patrol Training Academy
- Dates: May 7, 8, 15, 16, and 17th, 2017
- Address: 15055 S. Golden Road, Golden CO 80401 (Building 100 - 2 Buildings West of the Main Academy Building): Click here for directions.
- Colorado Springs, Colorado: North Colorado Springs Army National Guard Readiness Center
- Dates: May 10, 11, 12, and 13, 2017,
- Address: 9510 Voyager Parkway., Colorado Springs CO 80920: Click here for directions.
- Grand Junction, Colorado: Army National Guard Readiness Center
- Date: May 9, 2017
- Address: 2810 Riverside Pkwy, Grand Junction CO, 81501: Click here for directions.
Physical Fitness: The physical standards for the Colorado State Patrol Academy must be completed prior to moving to the next examination phase. All candidates whom enter the Written Examination Phase 1 (above) will be required to take this step in the same day. In order to move into phase 2 of the examination process, you must obtaining a passing score from the written examination and must complete the physical fitness step consisting of push-ups for one minute and a 20 Meter Multi-Stage Fitness Test - both stages must be taken, you may not elect to take one or the other. You may not take this portion of the process without being invited to the written examination by a Human Resources Analyst. Please see the video for a demonstration of the two fitness stages.
Background Investigation: This step is an investigation and face to face interview with a CSP Background Professional whom will look into compiling criminal records, commercial records, financial records, reference checks and much more.
Polygraph This step includes a complete and thorough Polygraph conducted by certified professional State Patrol uniformed member or their designee. You will answer a series of examiner's questions that will measure physiological data.
Examination Phase 2: Structured Application Review Board: A panel of Lieutenant Colonels and Majors from the Colorado State Patrol will review your entire file and any documents attached to your profile to provide independent ratings. These Appointing Authorities will use the written exam scores, fitness step, and any additional reports to evaluate the candidates overall cultural fit including values, beliefs, and outlook to ensure the applicant appears to match the organizations culture based on the totality of the applicant file up to this point. The top group selected from the Structured Application Review Board will move forward to the Oral Board Examination Phase 3.
Examination Phase 3: Oral Board Interviews: A panel consisting of at least one Major and at least two other Commissioned Officers from the Colorado State Patrol will interview you personally for the position. The panel will provide independent ratings during your 15 minute oral board interview. You will be able to complete this process either in person, via video chat either by traveling to any Colorado State Patrol Troop Office or using your personally owned electronic devices, as long as it is connected to a high-speed internet connection and is capable of carrying on a video chat. Those selected as the top group may be provided with a conditional job offer and required to complete post conditional offer testing (below)..
POST CONDITIONAL OFFER TESTING
1. Psychological Assessment and Interview - Doctor Cristina Cullens of Psychological Dimensions
2. Drug & Alcohol Testing
3. Self Service Medical Clearance (candidate's own physician) *details to be provided at time of conditional job offer
- Lateral Academy:mSeptember 24, 2017 (if you applied April 2017)
- Full Open Compete Cadet Class 2018-1: January 2018 (if you applied April 2017)