2017 Lateral Academy
We will begin accepting applications for the Colorado State Patrol's first Lateral Academy in many years on April 13, 2017! The Lateral Academy will then begin on September 24, 2017 and will last for 11 weeks. Cadets that pass the Lateral Academy will graduate on December 8, 2017.
Applicants should apply and compete for one or the other, either the Cadet Open Competitive Recruitment or the Lateral Recruitment.
Tentative Lateral Program Requirements (Please see full job posting when announced for complete list of official requirements):
- All requirements of regular Cadet Class Applicants (specifics coming soon in announcement)
- Colorado P.O.S.T. Basic Certified, in good standing (Provisional Certifications for out of state applicants will not be accepted. Full Basic Colorado Post Certification must be provided at the time the application is received online)
- Must be a Colorado Resident
- Must have at least 3 years full-time, equivalent, paid, in good standing "patrol officer" experience within the last 5 years. Time spent in patrol FTO counts towards this time.
- (The Dept. reserves the right to consider retirees and those that were laid-off, who were in good standing and those that are now in higher level positions through rank- having previously had patrol officer experience on a case-by-case basis)
The following will not be considered for laterals:
Military, District Attorney or Federal Police Officer Experience
Jail/Correctional Officers/Security Officers
- Time in a training academy