Colorado State Trooper Career Path
CADET CAREER PATH - ALL COLORADO STATE PATROL TROOPERS MUST FIRST BECOME CADET INTERNS
Applications WILL OPEN April 13, 2017!
A Colorado State Patrol Cadet Intern trains, assists and learns to:
- Investigate traffic accidents, auto thefts, livestock thefts, drug trafficking, and citizen complaints;
- Determine whether civil or criminal laws have been violated and learns the appropriate enforcement process;
- Write reports mandated by Patrol policy and state and federal laws that document enforcement and investigative activities;
- Develop case files for prosecution;
- Testify at hearings and trials;
- Respond in emergency situations involving, but not limited to: lives in jeopardy; assisting other agencies; disaster mobilization and crowd control. A cadet learns to formulate action plans that anticipate continuously changing circumstances and how to resolve emergencies;
- Attends training and certification courses in technical law enforcement skills including, but not limited to: firearms, first aid/CPR; driving; use of force; arrest control; and physical agility, and;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
TROOPER I - ALL CADETS THAT SUCCESSFULLY GRADUATE ACADEMY AND FIELD OFFICER TRAINING (FTO) MAY PROMOTE TO TROOPER I
This class describes the fully-operational trooper. Positions in this level have primary responsibility for enforcing motor vehicle and criminal laws by patrol work that includes traffic control, investigating accidents, helping motorists with emergencies or mechanical breakdowns, and some crime prevention. Some positions in this class may perform special law enforcement assignments in such areas as hazardous materials route enforcement, interstate commercial transportation enforcement, and special security or escort duties.
|Minimum Requirements to become a Trooper||Examination Process|
(We currently are not allowing external transfers from other law enforcement agencies directly into Trooper I Classification - all new hires must become Cadets before promoting to Trooper I)