Human Services

Human Services

Crowley County Department of Human Services is committed to providing assistance and protective services to its residents by encouraging personal, social and financial responsibility through a variety of services and educational opportunities.

Our family and adult programs assist individuals in reaching their maximum potential of self-sufficiency by providing temporary and appropriate supportive services. believe that public assistance is a short-term solution and that long-term self-support is the ultimate goal.

Our child welfare workers provide protective services to children and teens through education, foster care, counseling, and advocacy.

Our child support enforcement division helps children get the financial and medical support they need and deserve by locating non-custodial parents, establishing paternity and assisting with support orders.

There are a variety of services available for families as well as individuals.  To apply for assistance stop by the Department of Human Services office at 631 Main Street, Suite 100 in Ordway.

  • Adult Medical – may help eligible individuals pay for Medicare premiums.
  • Aid to the Needy Disabled (AND) & Aid to the Blind (AB) - is a financial assistance program for individuals temporarily or permanently unable to work due to disability.
  • Child Health Plan Plus (CHP) - is a low-cost health and dental insurance for Colorado children.
  • Colorado Works (TANF) - provides cost-of-living assistance to eligible low-income families or women who are six months pregnant or more.
  • Family Medicaid (FM) - Medicaid provides assistance with medical expenses through two programs - Medicaid and CHP+ - for children up to 19 years old.
  • Food Assistance (FA) - helps low-income families supplement their nutritional needs by providing financial assistance to purchase food.
  • Long Term Care - provides assistance to individuals who are Medicaid-eligible and at-risk of placement in a nursing facility.
  • Old Age Pension (OAP)- provides financial help for residents age 60 or older with little or no income, and provides Medicaid for eligible applicants.

A separate application is required for the following programs:

  • Child Care Assistance (CCAP) - is provided to families who qualify based on family size and gross family income. Benefits are available for children birth through age 12. More Information & Application
  • Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) - helps needy families pay a percentage of their winter heating costs and is available from November through April each year. More Information & Application
  • Child Support Enforcement (CSE) - helps children get the financial and medical support they need and deserve by locating non-custodial parents, establishing paternity and establishing/modifying/enforcing support orders and medical support orders. More Information & Application

How to Apply for Services:

To determine eligibility, an application must be completed with verification of income, resources, expenses, Social Security number(s), proof of lawful presence and a signed affidavit. An interview will determine if any further verification is required.

What to Bring When Applying

Bring as many of the following documents as possible. Do not wait to apply if you do not have all verifications needed. You can gather needed information after your application has been received.

Proof of Age, such as

  • Birth certificate
  • Baptismal certificate
  • Statement from Social Security
  • Driver's License
  • Picture Identification Card
  • Military Discharge Papers
  • Alien Registration Card
  • Naturalization Papers

Proof of U.S. citizenship, such as:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Social Security card
  • Baptismal Certificate
  • Naturalization Papers
  • Passport
  • Alien Registration Papers

Proof of Colorado residency, such as:

  • Client Statement
  • Rent Receipt
  • Lease Agreement
  • Mortgage Statement
  • Voter Registration
  • Utility Bill
  • Phone Bill

Proof of your and your spouse's gross income, such as:

  • Payroll stubs
  • Verification of social security and SSI
  • Tax return
  • Letter from employer
  • Proof of other income or checks you receive (child support, alimony, self-employment, financial aid)

Proof of resources, such as:

  • Cash
  • Checking/Savings/Certificate of Deposit Bank Statements
  • Letter from the Bank
  • Statements for investment accounts, stocks, bonds
  • Vehicle Registration (vehicles, boats, motor homes, etc.)
  • Letter from Broker
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Letter from Life Insurance Company
  • Burial Contract or Policy
  • Tax Return
  • Letter from County Assessor's Office

Proof of Application of Supplemental Security Income: Applicants/recipients of OAP may be required to apply for SSI benefits.

  • Statement from SSA showing application has been filed and appointment kept.

Once you receive services:

In the State of Colorado, all cash and food assistance benefits are credited to and accessed through an Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) system called the Colorado Quest Card. You will receive a Quest Card when you apply and are approved for benefits. A Quest card works like a debit card, and is swiped through a counter-top terminal device at the checkout counter. This card can be used for purchasing groceries and withdrawing cash benefits from automatic teller machines (ATM). Most grocery stores display the QUEST card logo in their window.

Entering your Personal Identification Number (PIN) gives you access to your benefits. Never tell your PIN to anyone! If someone has your PIN, they can use your card to get access to your benefits, which will not be replaced.

Benefits are deposited into your EBT account on the same day each month. Use the chart below to determine which day of the month your benefits will be deposited into your account.

If your Social Security Number ends in:
Food benefits will be credited to your Quest card on the this day of each month:


If your Social Security Number ends in:
Cash benefits will be credited to your Quest card on the this day of each month:
8 or 9 or 0
4 or 5 or 6 or 7
1 or 2 or 3



While you receive public assistance, you will need to continue to provide certain information, such as any changes in your family situation, job status, and income. You will also need to speak with your case manager regularly to keep her updated.

How to contact us:

Our offices: Our offices are located in Ordway in the new courthouse building directly across from the High School.

Contact Information:

Crowley County Department of Human Services
631 Main Street Suite 100
Ordway, CO 81063
Phone: 719.267.3546
Fax: 719.267.5296

Our staff: When you first arrive at our offices, you will generally be greeted by either Cathy Romero, or Tanya Cloer. They answer phones, accept paperwork, set appointments, and assist clients who need help filling out their forms. They also process LEAP applications November through April. Tanya also processes child care applications and reimbursements for Medicaid transportation.

The programs you apply for determine who is best able to assist you in getting the help you need. Roxie Smith, Nelda Bender, and Kirsten Bonds are available to assist you with Food Assistance, TANF, Aid to the Needy Disabled (AND), Old Age Pension (OAP), Aid to the Blind (AB), Home Care Allowance, Medicaid and CHP.

Child Support Enforcement is provided by Susie Lovato, who will assist individuals in all areas of child support from paternity testing, to creating, modifying, and enforcing support orders.

Child and Adult protection is handled primarily by Billy Meyer, and Lindsey Hart, with additional support by the director of Crowley County Human Services, Tonia Burnett.

Colorado has one toll-free phone number to report child abuse and neglect 24/7, 365 days a year. Please call the Colorado Child Abuse and Neglect Hotline at 1-844-CO-4-KIDS (1-844-264-5437) to report concerns about a child’s safety and well-being. All calls are confidential and will be routed to the county where a child resides. If it is an emergency or you are witnessing a child in a life-threatening situation, call 911 immediately.

To contact any of our staff, call 719.267.3546 and you will be directed to the appropriate extension.