The mission of the Colorado Integrated Criminal Justice Information System (CICJIS) is defined in its enabling legislation. "The purpose of CICJIS is to develop, in a cost-effective manner, a seamless, integrated criminal justice information system that maximizes standardization of data and communications technology among law enforcement agencies, district attorneys, the courts, and state-funded corrections for adult and youth offenders."
The reason for integrating or sharing data is to provide information to key decision makers in the criminal justice process. CICJIS makes the information available with three primary electronic services, or functions. The primary services or functions of the system are to electronically:
- Share common data among the five criminal justice agencies
- Provide access to unique information stored on remote systems
- Enable inquiries on current offender status within the criminal justice system
The vision of the Colorado Integrated Criminal Justice Information System (CICJIS) is to provide the right information to the right people at the right time and place in the criminal justice process. CICJIS continually strives to provide timely, accurate information reliably.
The values or benefits of CICJIS to citizens and peace officers include:
- Enhanced public safety
- Enhanced peace officer safety
- Reduced false arrests
- Enhanced protection and information for victims of crime
The benefits of these electronic functions to cooperating agencies include:
- Improved information accuracy
- Improved information timeliness
- Reduced data entry redundancy
- Reduced paper-based processing