2019 Central Staircase Project
2019 Central Staircase Project:
Central City Public Works Department 2019 Central Staircase Project began Monday, September 23,2019. We will continue to use this form of communication (In addition to the City website) as the project continues, so as to better inform those Central City Business Community members potentially impacted by the project. This project includes the removal of the current wooden staircase and installation of a steel staircase, hand rail and slip resistant steps. The tentative work schedule is listed below:
- Week of September 23rd: Demo lower 60% of existing wood staircase, begin pouring concrete piers for the foundation of the new staircase
- Week of September 30th: Finish pouring lower concrete piers
- Sunday October 6th: Eureka Street closure from Spring Street to County Road Street 8:00 am – 12:00 Noon to install lower 60% of new stairs via crane (detour will be posted)
- Week of October 7th: Demo remaining upper 40% of stairway, pour remaining concrete piers
- Week of October 14th: Install upper 40% of new stair using extended forklift from above
- Week of October 21st: Install upper portions of new stair using extended forklift from above
- Week of October 28th: Finalize detailing and open stair for pedestrian traffic at the end of October
Eureka/Lawrence Street will remain open during the project with the exception Sunday, October 6th, from 8:00 am until 12:00 Noon. Westbound traffic on Lawrence Street will be detoured north on Church Street to E. 1st High Street, west to County Road Street, and south to Eureka Street. Eastbound traffic on Eureka Street will be detoured north on County Road Street to E. 1st High Street, east to Church Street, and south to Lawrence Street. Access to the Century Parking Garage will remain open.
All dates are contingent on weather/site conditions and subject to change.