Who must report Toxic Release Inventory
Facilities identified below that have the equivalent of 10 or more full-time employees and meet the established thresholds for manufacture, processing or "otherwise use" of listed chemicals (i.e., manufactures or processes over 25,000 pounds of the approximately 600 designated chemicals or 28 chemical categories specified in the regulations, or uses more than 10,000 pounds of any designated chemical or category) must report their releases and other waste management quantities (including quantities transferred off-site for further waste management).
Please note: There are new reporting requirements for persistent, bioaccumulative and toxic (PBT) chemicals. See the following section on “New PBT Rules.”
Sectors and SIC Codes (NAICS Codes below):
- Manufacturing: 20-39.
- Metal Mining: 10 (except 1011, 1081, and 1094).
- Coal Mining: 12 (except 1241).
- Electrical Utilities: 4911, 4931, and 4939.
- Limited to facilities that combust coal and/or oil for the purpose of generating electricity for distribution in commerce.
- Treatment, Storage and Disposal Facilities: 4953.
- Limited to RCRA Subtitle C permitted or interim status facilities.
- Solvent Recovery Services: 7389.
- Limited to facilities primarily engaged in solvent recovery services on a contract or fee basis.
- Chemical Distributors: 5169.
- Petroleum Bulk Terminals: 5171.
- All Federal Facilities Owned or Operated by Executive Branch Agencies: No restrictions based on SIC codes.