Trauma center designation
The department designates trauma centers at levels I through V, or as a non-designated trauma facilities. Applications for designation can either be submitted online or mailed to the department. As a first step to apply for designation, a letter of intent must be submitted to the department.
Form to request a trauma designation site review.
Requires access to the CEMSIS portal, new users must click the "Need a User ID" link.
Paper applications must be mailed or delivered to the department.
Download the scoring tool that on-site trauma reviewers use during the review.
- The process begins when a health care facility requests designation or re-designation as a trauma center via a letter of intent.
- The applicant will receive a response from EMTS to schedule a review date.
- After receiving confirmation of a review date, the facility must apply for the review at least five weeks before the on-site review.
- The applicant must submit either an online application or mail a paper application. Once received, the department will reach out to the applicant to facilitate the review process.
- After completing the on-site review, the review team makes a recommendation about designation of the facility.
- This recommendation is passed to either the Designation Review Committee or the Statewide Trauma Advisory Council to evaluate the results of the on-site review.
- The department will notify the applicant of the designation decision within 30 days of receiving a final recommendation.
Trauma section assistant
Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment
4300 Cherry Creek Dr. S., HFEMS C-1
Attn: Trauma Program
Denver, CO 80246