Sex Changes


This type of sex change is different from when misinformation is recorded during the filing of the original birth certificate.

To request a sex change to your birth certificate, please submit the following in person or by mail:  
3. Non-refundable processing fee(s).
4. Certified copy of a court order indicating the sex has been changed via surgical procedure OR a completed Sex Designation form.
5. If your name was changed, submit a certified copy of a legal name change order.

Sex change via sex reassignment surgery is a process in which a person's physical characteristics are changed to reflect the sex opposite of that determined at birth.

  • For sex changes completed in Colorado, you must submit forms JDF 76 and 77 specifying sex change by surgical procedure.

The State Registrar shall change the sex designation pursuant to a request made under Section 5.5(C)(2) only once during an individual's lifetime. Any further amendment to the sex designation on a birth record or certificate requires a court order pursuant to Section 5.5(C)(1).