Provider resources - before pregnancy
Resources and materials for your patients before pregnancy.
Preconception health is the health status of women, men and couples during preconception periods.
Preconception care for women can improve a woman’s health and the health of her future children.
- Guideline for Preconception and Interconception Care.
- Guideline for Contraception.
Preconception care for men offers an opportunity for disease prevention and health promotion.
A Reproductive Life Plan is a set of personal goals about having (or not having) children, including action steps around how to achieve those goals. Colorado completed an evaluation of a tool developed to help women identify those goals.
The data briefs below discuss the health status of women in Colorado prior to pregnancy.
- Health Watch 78 - How Healthy Are Colorado Women of Reproductive Age? An Evaluation of Preconception Risk and Protective Factors, February 2011.
- Health Watch 75 - Smoking Before, During and After Pregnancy: Colorado Trends, May 2010.
- Health Watch 69 - The Association of Prepregnancy Body Mass Index and Adverse Maternal and Perinatal Outcomes, February 2009.
A variety of initiatives to address the health status of women and men before a pregnancy are occurring around the U.S. The reports below summarize information collected on some of those initiatives through interviews conducted with other states in 2011.
Preconception Health Training
- Before and Beyond Preconception Training Modules.
- Guideline for Preconception and Interconception Care - Webinar aired January 2011.
- How Healthy Are CO Women of Reproductive Age? - Webinar aired March 2011.