Protecting your identity
To protect your identity:
- Keep vital records in a locked, fire-resistant safe or safe-deposit box.
- Don’t carry vital records in your wallet or purse.
- When copies of vital records are necessary, provide a copy with the mother’s maiden name blacked out. Mother’s maiden name is often a security question for legal and financial verification systems.
- File copies of a person’s death certificate with the three major credit-reporting agencies:
If you have questions or concerns about fraud and your birth certificate, contact our fraud prevention staff:
- Identity Resource Center.
- Federal Trade Commission.
- Colorado attorney general’s office.
- Colorado Bureau of Investigation: identity theft.