Newborn hearing screening
On July 17, 2019 the Center for Health and Environmental Data (CHED) Division of the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) will go before the State Board of Health regarding a Request for Rulemaking Hearing: Proposed Rule 6 CCR 1009-5, Newborn Hearing Screening. At this time, a draft of the Rulemaking has been distributed to a number of stakeholders throughout the state, as well as linked here for your review. Please submit comments on this draft to Leanne.Glenn@state.co.us or to be added to the distribution list. Additional information on Board of Health meetings can be found here: https://www.colorado.gov/
All comments on the draft must be received by May 2nd of 2019.
Congenital CMV and Hearing Loss
We require hospitals in Colorado to screen newborns for hearing loss. If your newborn hasn't been screened, find out where you can take your baby by calling us:
Colorado Families for Hands & Voices is dedicated to supporting families with children who are deaf or hard of hearing. The organization provides families with the resources, networks information they need to improve communication access and educational outcomes for their children.
About hearing screening
- Newborn Screening Program brochure | In Spanish.
- Midwives and birthing centers are also required to either screen babies for hearing loss or provide information to parents on where to obtain an infant hearing screen.
- Screenings may be done at participating locations in your area. Providers may include:
- School districts.
- Private insurance and Medicaid often cover the newborn hearing screening.
- If you have insurance, check with your carrier to learn about what the cost may be to have your baby’s hearing screened.
Current Cytomegalovirus (CMV) information
Cytomegalovirus (CMV) in pregnancy is spread through:
Person-to-person contact (such as kissing, sexual contact, and getting saliva or urine on your hands and then touching your eyes or the inside of your nose or mouth).
Breast milk of an infected woman who is breastfeeding.
Infected pregnant women passing the virus to their unborn babies.
Blood transfusions and organ transplants.
Newborn Hearing Screening Program Colorado, Newborn Hearing Screening Program Colorado