Naloxone standing orders
Senate Bill 15-053 expands access to the life-saving drug Naloxone, used to reverse overdoses to narcotic drugs such as certain prescription medications and heroin. As a result of the new law, the chief medical officer of the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) may issue standing orders for Naloxone to be dispensed by pharmacies and harm reduction organization employees and volunteers to help expand statewide Naloxone access to those who need it most.
If your agency has a medical provider with prescriptive authority on staff, use the examples below for writing your own order:
If your agency does not have a medical provider with prescriptive authority:
If you have questions or need assistance completing the request form, please contact us:
By email at email@example.com.
Or by telephone at 303-692-2506.
Learn how to safely administer Naloxone
- Naloxone administration checklist.
- Naloxone Training Checklist for Pharmacies.
- Naloxone Training Checklist for Harm Reduction Organizations.
- SAVE ME kit card.
- Patient education videos by Prescribe to Prevent.
- How to Use Narcan® (naloxone HCI) Nasal Spray 4mg.
With these standing orders, pharmacies and harm reduction organizations can now provide Naloxone to those who might benefit from it the most, including:
- A family member, friend or other person in a position to assist a person at risk of overdose.
- An employee or volunteer of a harm reduction organization.
- A first responder.
- An individual at risk of overdose.
Learn about the Bring Naloxone Home program